Is XprivacyLua useful with /e/?

OK, got your point of view. On the other hand uBlock origin does detect and block them.

uBlock_tracker

I checked my ublock settings : no mention of any mechanism to detect tracking, only a single list (Peter Lowe’s Ad and tracking server…) mentions it, and when reading its own description it doesn’t address trackers any further.
Anyway Badger doesn’t work with lists proposed by third parties, it very simply sees which originating site is handing information to the next when you click an url, and blocks this info transfer part, real time.
It’s not at all the same mechanism, and very complemetary to ad blocking.

My main concern isn’t really about adblockers, because there are many different ones, so this kind of service will certainly continue robustly in the mid-term future. (even though uBlock is definitely the best at this moment, after originally Adblock was, and, years before Firefox, iCab was on macintoshes)
My concern would be the fact that only the EFF develop Privacy Badger, and if they stop or just lag on a given host system, this service will just disappear.

Now, I fully agree my definition of tracking above is very restrictive (for browsers only) and doesn’t cover those Google-supplied funny apps many people may add atop /e/. On this part i’m not competent, being content with F-Droid supplies.

Hi,

the topic was about blockings apps from accessing personal data (as XprivacyLua does).

I see 3 levels for protecting privacy:

• OS
  • apps
  • web

/e/ protects the “OS” level.

XprivacyLua protects the “apps” level (except if you use only FOSS apps) but needs root and a deep integration in the “OS” level with the Xposed framework which breaks the “OS” level security and potentially privacy also.

The “web” part has many possibilities to be protected :slight_smile:

I was looking for a way to replace XprivacyLua without using root or Xposed framework.
The solution of TrackerControl + Shelter looks like a good one (and it’s opensource).

I hope all 3 levels are thus covered :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Just a feed back about TrackerControl and Shelter.

TrackerControl is really efficient, sometimes too much because it blocks the app from working (tracker embedded too deeply ?) :slight_smile:
In this case, I use Shelter to copy the TrackerControl blocked app in the Shelter profile.

Good to know:

• The Shelter always creates a second app (ex: 2 AuroraStore). 1 old installed on the phone, 1 new installed in the Shelter profile which usually has a desktop icon with a lock.
  • The Shelter looks like a new phone for the new app. You have to reconfigue the app from scratch.

For me the best way to use Shelter is:

• install AuroraStore on the phone
  • install the Shelter app from F-Droid
  • use Shelter app to copy AuroraStore to Shelter (1 click)
  • Then use the AuroraStore from the Shelter (icon with a lock) to automatically install apps inside the Shelter profile
  • Finally, deinstall the old app installed on the phone (out of the Shelter).

Hope it can ease the use of Shelter.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.