Launch any app at startup or as assistant

Awhile back I think someone asked if it was possible to have an app launch automatically at boot. Like Dialer/Phone for instance. I knew there was a way but I couldn’t remember until now. From the developer of KTweak…

AnyHome: Use any app as a homescreen launcher (github link).

AnyHome is very simple. Run the program and it will present you with a list of your apps. Choose one and it will launch normally. Then you need to set AnyHome as your launcher. Now whenever you start your phone or wake it up or hit the Home button the app is always there.

Granted one may have to go the long way around to start other apps since Dialer, f.i., is essentially your launcher.
My ROMs usually have other means to launch core/favorite apps (via OmniSwitch, Slim Recents app bar, GravityBox’ application launcher, etc.).

To clear app selection or choose another app one has to clear storage of AnyHome as it has no settings.

In the Play Store comments for AnyHome a user said something similar would be cool for the Assistant function (long-press Home) and that it should be called AnyAssistant.
Well, it exists.

AnyAssistant: An Android app that can directly change the built-in Assistant package (github link).

Similar to the other it will allow you to set any app of your choosing to launch by long pressing the Home button. This might be a more useful tool.
It has a Reset option inside to clear app selection. Does require the WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS permission so adb or root will be needed to set it.

Both apps are FOSS, free, no ads, no trackers, no internet permission.
Both are available from Play Store, thus App Lounge.
Works as advertised.

3 Likes

Just found this on F-Droid. Haven’t tested it yet.

Launch on Boot

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.