LG V30 (Joan) support dropped

Hi,
Does anyone knows what the support for LG V30 (joan) has been dropped?
I read the it was because they “could not build the image”, however I am not sure I understand since e/OS uses LineageOS to build their images and LineageOS as well as LineageOS 4 MicroG updates come regularly as late as Aug 24 on LOS21.
So I really dont understand the argument they are giving?
Thsnks

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/OS the deGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

They use LineageOS as a base and apply changes and add stuff, they aren’t LineageOS. So what they’re saying is that the necessary changes they apply to the LineageOS base to get to /e/OS don’t result in a working /e/OS for your device anymore.

That’s even worse if they are unable to compile their own code.
They did it for 6 months on the same version and oops … no can do!

It’s software, it’s complicated, it happens :person_shrugging: .
If LineageOS still builds, use LineageOS.

Priceless “It’s software, it’s complicated, it happens :person_shrugging: .
If LineageOS still builds, use LineageOS.”

I suggest we put it on top each e/OS page as a banner so no one gets any doubts going forward !!!

It’s more sad than priceless really to read such type of comments.

I would have thought someone at Crowdstrike not a E/OS to say such baffling comment.

Doesn’t raise one’s expectation of how e/OS software when one reads that and makes you go with any other ROM but E/OS.

What’s baffling about this?
On what base or grounds do you even want to raise any kind of expectation towards software development?
It’s best effort, results may vary, sometimes something may not work out as intended. It’s best to deal with reality.

When I have some time I’ll have to try and see whether that old article is still online somewhere explaining how software development grew into an industry without ever really leaving the kind of tinkering-in-the-garage mode behind from which it started to grow … and still to this day gets away with “products” and “procedures” we don’t allow other industries to get away with.
In some serious fields like aviation or medical appliances a lot of regulation gets slapped on top of it to prevent (or at least paste over) the most serious cracks, but we’re not in such serious fields here.

So, I’m happily taking what /e/OS can supply as long as they can for my device(s), and I’m very thankful for all the time and effort all the staff and volunteers as well as the community put into making this work (in general). I like it very much, I can deal with some flaws, and I can very well resist to raise my expectations towards it. Because it’s software.

2 Likes

You can try to build it by yourself: How to Build the /e/OS ROM?.

1 Like

Or LineageOS for microG (which gives you Anrdoid 14 / LOS 21.0 too :slight_smile: )

1 Like

I would be very interested to read that article :slight_smile:

All,
pl avoid personal attacks on this forum.

On the subject of support for any device, we would invite volunteers with ROM Building expertise to step forward and build the ROM. Device with ROM Maintainers have a better chance for support.

2 Likes