Linphone - Googlecrashlytics un-install

The Exodus app does not scan your installed apps, it only consults a database of compiled findings. It does not physically detect trackers in your apps. As I mentioned before, their info for Linphone is based on the Play Store version or latest version in their database matching installed version (I think).

I also mentioned that there are no trackers in my installed copies on several phones. When I did install from Play Store for testing, the tracker was visible in App Manager.

See here what I mean. Only the Play Store copies have trackers…

Maybe give their FAQ a look see.
FAQ · Exodus Privacy

I will say again, the F-Droid version is clean on my devices.

Note I mentioned App Manager. It will show all trackers it is aware of even if the apps in question are considered clean elsewhere. Technically they are, like the F-Droid client itself.

For Linphone from F-Droid there are no entries.

Thanks for all that info !

So for all apps, App Manager is similar to the Exodus App, in that it refers to a remote database rather than actually scan your apps, that is not possible (currently).

I presume then the only reliable place to find out what trackers are in an app, is in say the ‘info’ of the F-Droid App. lists for trackers and permissions.

Is Advanced Privacy’s ‘Manage apps trackers’ doing what Exodus and App Manager are not, ie report on whether an app actually has trackers, and if its being used (which you can block if you so choose).

Not heard of App Manager, I find several different ones, which one are you using ?

I believe App Manager actually scans the apps themselves. Getting info from their libraries, blobs, and whatnot. So what it finds is actual. Sort of. Categorized by providers, services, activities, and receivers.
In the past, App Manager used to use Exodus for tracker info before scanner improvements.
I did a little write-up in these forums about blocking trackers with AM but that was back in the v2.x days. Things have gotten easier/better since then.

Among App Manager’s features is it can be used to install apps and is recognized by Aurora Store as an installation method (AM Installer). AM Installer can be set to block all trackers on installation of an app. I use it with Aurora Store or on questionable APKs.

As promised, it is now possible to select splits. AM also provides recommendations based on device configurations. If the app is already installed, recommendations are provided based on the installed app. It is also possible to downgrade to a lower version without data loss if the device has root or ADB. But it should be noted that not all app can be downgraded. Installer is also improved to speed up the installation process, especially, for root users. If the app has already been installed and the new (x)apk(s) is newer or older or the same version with a different signature, AM will display a list of changes similar to What’s New before prompting the user to install the app. This is useful if the app has introduced tracker components, new permissions, etc.

Application installer includes several improvements including the ability to downgrade applications in no-root mode, installing multiple applications at once and blocking trackers after installation. In Android 12 and later, no-root users can update applications without any user interactions.

Of course blocking all trackers may cause an issue for some apps but necessary trackers can be unblocked. Mentioned in its documentation.

Never really checked out its documentation much until now. For trackers it states…

Tracker — Denotes tracker components throughout the document and in App Manager except in the scanner page. Trackers include libraries such as crash reporters, analytics, profiling, identification, ad, location, etc. Thus, they are not equal in functions. There is no distinction or bias between open source and closed source libraries that promote tracking.

and

Disclaimer.

App Manager only scans an application statically without prejudice. The application may provide the options for opting out, or in some cases, certain features of the tracker may not be used at all by the application (e.g. F-Droid), or some applications may simply use them as placeholders to prevent the breaking of certain features (e.g. Fennec F-Droid). The intention of the scanner is to give you an idea about what the APK might contain. It should be taken as an initial step for further investigations.

I’ve seen some folks online who don’t want trackers of any kind, good or bad. Being able to see all gives them the ability to block them.

The app works best when rooted but can also use ADB over TCP and Wireless debugging. Never tried either.

App Manager - Android package manager | F-Droid
Latest v3.1.0 is not yet on F-Droid.

1 Like

Ahh yes, just installed App Manager, I dont see any trackers listed for Linphone !

I’ve seen some folks online who don’t want trackers of any kind

Umm I dont think you can be an absolutist about this stuff, but where you do have trackers, for the non programmers - be good to know roughly what each of them do … I guess for folk like me, hoping on some Android Developers YouTubes would possibly help understand a bit better.

The ‘sort’ by ‘Tracker’ feature in App Manager listed these:

Advanced Privacy
F-Droid
NewPipe
/e/ Drive
microG Services Core

Office: PlanMaker

Can one assume that all the above are safe ? I note a few of them communicate with Andoid.com, and PlanMaker wants to do something with Google Billing. (which App Lounge reports no trackers for this). Assme MicroG would be anonamising any communication that PlanMaker wanted to do.

Agreed. When I read someone on a github somewhere making it clear he didn"t want any kind of tracker in any app (including crash reporting) is what I was referring to.

I have Softmaker Office also (long time fan, it’s even on my ancient Windows Mobile Pocket PC - Dell Axim).
The ProxyBilling thing is present in a lot of apps I have. I personally consider it okay. Seems to have no real purpose. Blocked or unblocked, apps behave normally.

Sentry and acra (crash reporting) are also considered clean as long as they are opt in/out (prompt to send a crash report as opposed to being sent without permission/knowledge) at least as far as the F-Droid people are concerned.

Also, don’t forget, as mentioned previously, that some detected tracker functions/classes/libs/whatever may be non-functional but need to be in place for an app to function. The aforememtioned Fennec f.i.

I’m not really a fan of using YouTube to find anything technical (techie maybe, which isn’t the same) but maybe it’s easier to get an overview of something.
Anyhind, maybe this article might be interesting.

Identify modules in apps - IzzyOnDroid