Linphone - Googlecrashlytics un-install

I installed Linphone, but then realised it also uses Googlecrashlytics, which I do not want on my phone, I have now un-installed Linphone, but can I be sure that Googlecrashlytics has also been un-installed (if its a separate set of code)

Or am I being paranoid to uninstall, and MicroG anonamises what gets sent to Googlecrashlytics.

I cannot find GoogleCrashLytics listed under MicroG since uninstalling LinPhone.

Thanks

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

As far as I know, Google Crashlytics is some kind of web (remote) service, and may be a set of Java (and other languages) API for programmers.
So if you uninstalled the app, for sure it has instantly stopped to send data to google.
That said, as far as I know, this is about app crashes, so I’d say (to be checked) that it only sends data when the app eventually crashes.
Moreover, there are for sure other apps using Crashlytics … so keep checking before installing.
Also, I’m not sure, but Advanced Privacy probably blocks Crashlytics when it is activated (at least Tracker Control, a functional “competitor” of Advanced Privacy, does this).
And in any case, I’d also say that microG (with default e-OS settings) kind of anonymizes the data send to Google in the end … doesn’t it ?

• so I’d say (to be checked) that it only sends data when the app eventually crashes.*

I did read that it sent additional logs and the like to Google, but will need to do some more reading on this.

Does Micro G know to anonamise Crashlytics data, is there a list of what apps or google services it anonamises ?

I tried to Google Micro G and Crashlytics, but I could not see much info available, I di a little more reading on Crashlytics, and from what I could see it collects a range of IDs, how good Micro G is at anonamising all those I cannot say.

Needs more reading …

I think in the meantime I will look for another Softphone, I am trying to get SIP working on my S7, but so far still no joy, the Voip provider has re-confirmed my settings are correct but its still timing out when trying to connect.

Linphone has no trackers at all, if you get it from F-Droid.
Good idea to check if an app on the Store is also available in a “cleaner” form elsewhere.

2 Likes

I installed the Play Store version to compare the insides with my F-Droid installed copies.
Was confused at first because App Manager showed no in-app trackers so I compared Activities, Services, Receivers, and Providers.
The Play Store version is full of Firebase related items. The F-Droid version has none.

If one needs / prefers Google push messaging then use the former, otherwise go for the latter.

2 Likes

@Rob1971
I just thought of something,. After a couple of tests with App Lounge using Google account and ‘Show common apps’ enabled, clearing cache for good measure, I find that the store installs the F-Droid version only. No trackers.

I was under the impression that you experienced Linphone using Crashlytics or something.
Did you by chance see the tracker info shown in App Lounge for Linphone and was put off by it? That is understandable.

Now that brings up another question. Does the tracker info in App Lounge apply to Play Store apps (only)? Not taking into account that any particular app may come from F-Droid repo instead and not contain listed trackers?
If so that could result in these kinds of assumptions.

How does one know which version of the app they are getting.
[ I don’t use App Lounge so haven’t followed too many topics. I assume F-Droid apps take precedence? ]

@marcdw OK, I installed Linphone from the App Lounge, but then noticed in the Privacy Analysis ‘trackers’ section it finds: ‘Google Crashlytics’ … ‘Computed using Exodus Privacy Analysis’.

Looking at the App in F-Droid it only lists ‘permissions’, no trackers, presume no App’s in F-Droid have trackers ?? ie they do not allow Apps with trackers to be listed.

I am unsure when you say 'App Lounge using Google account ’ … why are you using a Google Account to access App Lounge ?

I find that the store installs the F-Droid version only. No trackers.
So the App Store holds the same version as that on F-Droid, so then why is Exodus Privacy finding ‘Google CrashLytics’ tracker in it ?

If Install Linphone from F-Driod, will my /e/OS’s ‘Advanced Privacy’ block any trackers ? presume this works in a more sophisticated way than a Firewall, blocking pin holes.
I can see in Advanced Privacy under ‘Browsers’ that Google CrashLytics was blocked in the last 24 hours, although I am not sure why it should appear under ‘Browsers’.

Google CrashLytics:

Receives and analyzes app crash reports which may contain user and device-specific data.

Performs analytics on app users and utilizes social media advertising. “Get insight into your users, what they’re doing, and inject live social content to delight them” Fabric, 01

Performs cross-device user identity and authentication via “Fabric” Wired, 01

Thanks for clearing me up there. Please disregard my comments/questions/assumptions. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

I went through the app again and can’t find any parts or libraries that are Google. I suppose they do the Crashlytics call somewhere in their code.

At their GitHub someone posted an issue about the app crashing and did make mention about the Crashlytics call, which he thought was not supposed to be present in the F-Droid build.

The app is still a good choice. If not comfortable with the crash reporting or whatever it’s supposed to do, just block it.
Otherwise try alternatives like baresip/baresip+.

1 Like

Looking at the App in F-Droid it only lists ‘permissions’, no trackers, presume no App’s in F-Droid have trackers ?? ie they do not allow Apps with trackers to be listed.

They do actually. A number of apps make use of crash reporting, like Acra or Sentry. I believe they have to be opt in/out. Not sure. Example (from App Manager)…

Or you may see something like this (from F-Droid client)…

I am unsure when you say 'App Lounge using Google account ’ … why are you using a Google Account to access App Lounge ?

Because I can. That’s why the feature is there but in this case it was logged into to get something at the same time I was getting Linphone.
You do know that one can use their G account in App Lounge to be able to install paid apps, right?

By the way, for me, Advanced Privacy is not showing any Linphone trackers. Used it a bit then checked the app’s settings. Nothing.
Hmm, maybe because Device Registration and Cloud Messaging are turned off in microG? I don’t know.

@marcdw
If not comfortable with the crash reporting or whatever it’s supposed to do, just block it.

Would you block it through Settings/Apps and Notifications/Permissions Manager … and find Google CrashLytics in a catergory, or would you find it under Micro G ? I have Google Device Registration and Cloud Messaging turned on, should I have them turned off ?

So we are unsure if Linphone does indeed use CrashLytics or not, I am in the process of asking them the question, see what they say.

If Linphone registered itself for push notifications then you would see it listed at microG Settings → Cloud Messaging. From there you can unregister it.
If Linphone is present, tap on it to get additional options.

If you rely on some apps needing push notifications then you can leave the microG settings as is. Otherwise you can turn them off.
You can also control which (new/future) apps can register for push notifications.

microG Settings → Cloud Messaging → three-dot menu → Advanced
and toggle on ‘Confirm new apps’.
Now any newly installed apps that want to use Google push notifications will cause a pop-up confirmation dialog to show up.

Oh, when I suggested to “just block it” I was thinking of the tracker you saw in Advanced Privacy. Assuming it was under the Linphone entry.

2 Likes

Thanks for the pointers, without any ‘manual’, and being new to Android /e/OS can be a bit tricky to navigate.

I’ve added myself to Linphones ‘mailing list’ to ask the question.

I did consider asking about it on Gitlab, but I couldn’t login using my e.foundation login … but just discovered GitLab and Github are separate websites with their own logiins, e.foundation is on Gitlab, and Linphone on Github … how to confuse a newbie …

I’ll report back with what the makers of Linphone have to say.

So the F-Droid site version of Linphone does not have ‘Crashlytics’, yet the /e/OS embedded App Lounge version of Linphone does … I am curious as to why the difference between F-Droid and App Lounge,and why the App Lounge offer a version with a Google Tracker in it.

Here is the reply from the makers of Linphone:

Hi,

Linphone for Android can be built with/without Crashlytics.

You can only enable it if linphone-SDK debug libraries are found on the computer that does the build (which can only be the case if the SDK was built manually and the app configured to use that local build instead of using a maven artefact).
If that’s the case, it depends on the flavor you ask Android Studio to generate: release or releaseWithCrashlytics.

Our releases on the Play Store don’t have it, only some beta versions have Crashlytics enabled.
And of course F-Droid disables it as well when they build a new version.

Hope it clarifies.
Head of Mobile & Desktop Apps Department

I did another go around.
In App Lounge I made sure Google account was not used. Unchecked show common apps so only PWAs and ooen source are offered. Closed and cleared cache for good measure.
Searched for and installed Linphone.
Used it a bit, sending message and receiving calls.

No trackers are detected / shown in Advanced Privacy. No trackers are in the app as far as App Manager is concerned.
In my case it is clean.
Uninstalled.

Repeated but this time logged into App Lounge as Anonymous and show common apps ON.
Once again, Linphone has no in-app trackers shown nor does Advanced Privacy show any.
Clean again.
In my case App Lounge offers up the F-Droid build exclusively.

Can you start fresh and see if Linphone still shows Crashlytics tracker?

1 Like

Thanks for your testing, I have installed it from F-Droid, and no trackers are reported.

How do you clear the App Lounge Cache ?

Is my uncleared cache possibly why the App Lounge lists ‘Google Crashlytics’ as a tracker, and you find none listed.

I would like to think Apps in the App Lounge be more Privacy orientated than F-Droid, or does the App Lounge simply make more of a play of displaying Exodus Ratings up front.

Yeah, I would say the latter.
The thing with Exodus is it doesn’t necessarily take into account the different builds an app may have and just use analysis of an app available mostly via something like Play Store. When using Aurora Store the apps are all Play Store so the Exodus findings is important and valid. But with App Lounge apps are from Play Store, F-Droid, or wherever so the Exodus rating may not always apply.

For instance, Linphone is shown at the Exodus report as having one tracker, Google Crashlytics. And as stated there…
Source: Google Play

There are some apps with up to three delivery methods. Straight from their Git (also via IzzyOnDroid repo in some cases or via their own repos), F-Droid build, and Play Store. The Exodus tracker info will usually apply only to the Play Store builds. But not always of course.
They have analysis for both Google and F-Droid versions of Organic Maps f.i.

With App Lounge, if there is more than one source for an app (Play or F-Droid) I’m still not sure which one is being offered up. As I don’t use App Lounge anyway, except for messing around in these cases, I keep things separate. An F-Droid client and Aurora Store.

1 Like

I am such a dope. Was browsing the release notes for something unrelated and came across the answer.
Starting with v1.7, if an app is available on both Play Store and F-Droid, AppLounge will offer up the latter.
Now I can stop wondering. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thats all good know, thanks.

OK just randomly checking through Exodus App on the phone, I see under trackers, Google Crashlytics listed - with Linphone one of the apps (MicroG is the other) listed.

I installed this from F-Droid.

I have uninstalled it, but its still listed as an app under Crashlytics, is there a cache I need to clear somewhere ?

Right back at the start it was originally installed from the App Lounge, but then discovered that that version did have Crashlytics included, and so uninstalled it, could this also be cached ? and a cache for that also needs to be cleared.

From all the posts above, the F-Droid version shouldn’t have any trackers in it at all, so bit confused.