[LIST] Banking Apps on /e/OS

Abn amro banking app is starting to give me trouble. I get an error stating that I have to check if I have g00gle play enabled and on an updated version.
This is on my Poco F1 running android 11, e-os 1.8.1

An upgrade in due course might help; there is an Upgrade page for your device.

1 Like

I know, but what I don’t know is if I can easily do that upgrade. For e-os S, if I read the manual correct, I need to upgrade to the vendors firmware first. That would be android 12 I think. But there is no android 12 firmware version for my phone.

That is quite possible for a 2018 device. The page may contain “generic” information.

Warning: Please note this upgrade build could not be tested as there were no device specific testers available. Some devices may need a revert to stock ROM prior to upgrade.

The requirement will be to have the latest firmware revision (you may have this already, idk). I do not know the device, you might start a new topic to get more user experience.

1 Like

Haha yeah I know, it’s an old phone but still working fine. I’ve asked in the Poco F1 chat if Any1 can help with this. Thx for ur help so far!

The date of the Vendor Security Patch Level (not to be confused with Android SPL) is the key to this and anyone with the device could tell you if they have a Vendor SPL in advance of that shown in your Settings > About phone > Android version > Vendor Security Patch Level.

I suggest it best to keep beryllium specific stuff on your other thread rather than “Banking apps” :slight_smile:

Hmm I got the december 2020 version

This is a bit late but Starling still works fine on my phone (Fairphone 3, Android 10, /e/OS 1.5-20221031230909? I’m on Starling app version 3.12.1.85044, not updated to the latest one but according to some reviews the latest version keeps crashing.

1.14 should fix this , even 1.13 I guess

Does anyone use Banco Santander in Spain and can verify that it works? I’m planning to open a bank account with them but don’t want to be caught out after opening an account with them to find that I can’t use their app. I can see that there are a few Spanish bank apps (Deutsche Bank, Openbank, Laboral Kutxa, and Cajamar) that apparently works on /e/OS, but not sure how updated this information is as well? I was hoping to open an account with a bigger/more well-known bank as well…

Checking in on some US-based banks.

OnePlus 8T, /e/OS 1.7 (yeah, yeah, I hate having to back up and re-root every update)no safetynet hacks, all downloaded from App Lounge. Also, these results reflect functionality with “Real IP Address” set to “Exposed”, i.e. TOR was disabled in testing. These tests are reflective of the current releases of the respective apps, as of 05 Sept 2023.

Massive caveat: I don’t have accounts at most of these banks (and I’m not indicating which ones I do have), but I figure it’s a start to say “these apps don’t quit on startup or complain about rooting”, which is what I’m going for.

Banks:

Bank of America - no notices or crashes
CapitalOne - no notices or crashes
Chase - no notices or crashes
Chime - no notices or crashes
Citi - ‘rooted device’ notice on start; no crashes
Citizens - no notices or crashes
Santander - no notices or crashes
Sofi - “Something went wrong” after going to login page and exiting Webview; may still work after successful login.
Wells Fargo - no notices or crashes

Credit Unions:
Alliant - “Error - This app cannot be used on this device”.
American Airlines CU - no notices or crashes
Bethpage - no notices or crashes
CPM - no notices or crashes
CU SoCal - no notices or crashes
Golden1 - unsupported on rooted device
iQ - no notices or crashes
Mountain America - no notices or crashes
Navy Federal - no notices or crashes, “enroll in digital banking” produced generic error
Pentagon / Penfed - no notices or crashes, “set up account” had a DNS error
People’s CU - no notices or crashes
SECU (North Carolina) - unsupported on rooted device
Southland CU - no notices or crashes
UW - no notices or crashes; initial login went to site on AdAway block list

Credit Cards:
Visa (Connected Visa) - rooted notice; refuses to run
Mastercard (Mastercard Nearby) - rooted notice; no notices or crashes
Discover (Discover Mobile) - Asks for SU; nags if granted. no notices or crashes
American Express - no notices or crashes

One note about the credit union list is that I started to see a pattern - Southland, Mountain America, iQ, CPM, and People’s (amongst others) all gave me the vibe that they were all written by the same developer due to their similarities. Citi and BofA are big enough to have dedicated programmers, but since the credit unions are smaller and regional, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if they all used the same development firm, who copy/pasted the code and just changed some logos / DNS addresses / API keys. I say this because I could easily see changed behavior replicating as a byproduct. If one CU starts demanding safetynet, I’m sure the others will get the change. If one starts crashing, the others likely will too.

Hope this list helps some folks looking for US banking applications!

You can test any of the bank apps without first signing up to one.
Won’t be able to log on of course but you can see if they start or make it that far.

1 Like

The Santander UK HTML page is one which allows “Add to Home screen”. I have not used it but this implies the the bank does not aggressively demand the use of their own app.

Same seen https://particulares.bancosantander.es/login/.

1 Like

OFF-TOPIC: There’s no need to re-root after an update. Just download the update and let it install. When the device asks you to reboot, open Magisk app. Click install and there you’ll find an OTA-function. Select that, reboot, done. Update installed and root survived! Have been doing this since 1.5 or something up to 1.14.

if no one replies, there’s at least one report in an aosp/microg app compatability feedback database that is not pessimistic:

"Santander es.bancosantander.apps 2023-07-27 1" with 1 being good (2 = average, 3 = bad)

in a microg/root environment (root means just adb shell root available, not that it is enacted or mods have taken place). But “works” can cover a lot of functionality. As you noticed on multiple banking apps, the camera / qrcode / facedetection features are lacking

Does anyone know if any of these banks do 2FA with TOPT instead of push notifications to their app? Those that do would at least let us use non-GPlayS Androids for paying online…

Also, maybe, the date of the last OK/NOK test.

RO ING Bank ING HomeBank - Any version of the ING Homebank RO I tried from various App stores (AppLounge, Aptoide, ApkPure, Aurora Store) doesn’t work on /e/OS/ - currently using version 1.11-20230512289175 - Android 11 on OnePlus3.
I get the message: “Home’Bank can’t work on the configuration of this device”.

Those who reported Mein Elba (Austria) working on /e - did you just install the app and registered or did you fiddle with additional settings? While I logged in successfully, the activation of the actual pushTan functionality results in an error.

Edit my own post: the functionality also has to be approved and activated for the customer by the bank! That was not clear during the process or from the error message.

1 Like

It (abn amro app) started working for me with the latest uodate from aurora store again, was dreading a firmware update, but looks like its not needed

1 Like