[LIST] Devices we plan to upgrade to /e/OS S

Could you please add as well Motorola Moto G50 (Ibiza) to the list :pray:

1 Like

Waiting for Oneplus 8 instantnoodle to the list!

1 Like

I just found this discussion here. So, to get the newest Version I have to manually flash my device and they will lose all the data/apps? :thinking:

Wow, recently I convinced my family to install /e/OS on their phone. And now I have to tell them that I have to reset their phone again to install the newest Update? :dizzy_face:

No other option? OTA not possible?

Best regards,
Bernhard

2 Likes

If you are referring to the upgrade to Android 12, then yes, for now.

Regular OS updates within the same underlying Android version continue to come OTA, as long as there is update support.

An OTA upgrade to a new underlying Android version has to be prepared for a specific device, which is complicated and takes time.

Efforts are ongoing for selected devices, status is given here … https://community.e.foundation/tag/development-updates

1 Like

maybe next time I should be more specific in my post. :smiling_face:
Yes I was talking about the Upgrade.

Thanks for clarifying this.

With this situation I can live (more or less) The question is only how long will there be support for Android 11 then. But I guess, this depends pretty much on Lineage OS, no?

how is the evaluation process which device will get the OTA Upgrade possibilty? Most used devices?

Hello! I am having a hard time following this thread / update to the Android 12 timing. I read some where that it’s in process and done Oct i think? Is there any specific dates for the update for the list of devices? Thank you!

Updated the ETA to October.

1 Like

https://community.e.foundation/t/week-41-2022-development-and-testing-updates/44460/17

I hope you add Samsung Galaxy Z Fold phones. Some good secondhand prices now. Would love to upgrade my S9 Plus to one.

What is the end point of GS290 in terms of upgrade?
Cheers
T.

1 Like

For any device, one point would be when the vendor stops firmware upgrades. Next would be the end of Google security upgrades for the device’s particular OS. We try to stretch support as long as possible because not all of us throw away a phone just because it is old.

10 Likes

Unfortunately, this point has already been reached with the Gigaset GS290… Update support end was August 2022. :dizzy_face: This already results in the first negative consequences, see here:

Another issue is Android 10:

Actually, the end of support should be reached shortly. Usually, security updates are only provided for 3 years after the Android version is launched.

How long can the Gigaset GS290 still be supported under these conditions?

Greetings
Frank

Thanks. So how long can Murena One be expected to stay surfaced?
Any chance of seeing the latest from Murena running Android 12?

T.

We will support the Murena One for 5 years with software updates and security patches as mentioned in the FAQ on the website. Also /e/OS A12 when we are ready to release it.

1 Like

The testing of the /e/OS ‘S’ builds has started from today. If no major issues are reported, we expect to release the builds for all users in 2 weeks.
Exact release details will be shared as part of the weekly updates.

7 Likes

Although the FP4 has not yet been able to enter the list I can anyway confirm that there’s now a working FP4 /e/OS S test version.

This list has been updated. There could be more additions in the days to come. In case the build for a particular device fails, we will move it to the subsequent release sessions. For now, the release of /e/OS ‘S’ is planned along with v1.5. ETA for release would be in 1-2 weeks.

5 Likes

What a great news :pray::pray: thanks a lot.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree. Just be aware that I’d to sideload it via adb (as announced in the first post of this topic). Don’t know the exact plans for OTA upgrades R to S.

1 Like

Very happy to see that Fairphone 4 has just been added to the list! :wink:

Will the upgrade be available in OTA mode for this device? (I think Fairphone OS can / will be upgraded directly with the OTA as well)

Indeed, if we unlock - relock the bootloader again, all data will be lost.

Anyway thanks so much for the great work done with /e/ OS! :pray:

1 Like