[LIST] Recommended FOSS Applications

Interesting. My tests show it uses a long list of Cloudflare servers. Completely bypasses my DNSCrypt setup which is not cool.

2 Likes

Yet another list of a user’s recommended FOSS apps.

The starting guide of de-googled user - Lemmy

3 Likes

@MaMaTT88
I got this tip for Waterfox. Works perfectly.

waterfox probably enable dns setting on about:config. Check the value of
network.trr.mode.
0 means disable

2 Likes

Works for me too, thanks for the tip!

Does anyone have experience with Musify?

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.gokadzev.musify.fdroid/

1 Like

I’ve been trying to learn e-os and libre and privacy conscious replacements for my old favorite apps.

Here are some I’ve found so far:

I loved Nova launcher. I’ve tried a few out, and so far like Lawnchair best to replace it

I already had Protonmail with simple login instead of Gmail

I was psyched to see that Proton drive now backs up photos automatically in the background and seems to just work.

My last phone was a Motorola, and I really missed the shake-for-flashlight feature, it was the thing I used my phone for most. Torchie is almost as good with using buttons for the light.

I replaced Beyondpod with Antennapod plus Feeder for written feeds.

Still exploring for:

• a calendar to share with my wife instead of Google calendar,
  • an Evernote replacement,
  • a music player to replace Rocketplayer
  • a Google Fit alternative

I’ll try to remember to update here as I find things.

Cheers

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/OS the deGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

1 Like

It seems logical then to combine Proton Mail and Calendar.
(but you or your wife have to subscribe for at least 3.49€/month if you want to use the calendar sharing function)

1 Like

You may take closer look at Joplin?
Can be synced E2EE via nextcloud (eg murena.io) or other cloud services, has apps for PC or Linux as well.

1 Like

If you are familiar with Lawnchair you could also have a look at Neo Launcher which is derived from Lawnchair and Pear Launcher.

1 Like

I also could recommend the Proton Calendar
Give Notesnook a trial, it’s a few levels above Evernote.
Simply the best for me: VLC MediaPlayer
The only Fitness App I know that doesn’t share your data with the world is Gadgetbridge. It has a limited functionality compared to Google Fit and only makes sense with a compatible Smartwatch

3 Likes

Thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone!

1 Like

Standard Notes just joined the Proton family. It’s open source and many say it’s pretty good.

https://proton.me/blog/proton-standard-notes-join-forces

2 Likes

Standard Notes is great. Love this app. Like Joplin

1 Like

Nice list, thank you.
As for myself, I have a couple of Simple apps such as gallery and calendar.
For example, I used Simple Gallery, because I can’t open gallery folder using gcam while I can with Simple gallery.
And I use Session Messenger, which is not on the list.
Other than that, I use most of what most people here use.
*Can rarely watch video on LibreTube on peer, so I figured out that it’s easier just using NewPipe or PipePipe (NewPipe seems to be having issue with showing comments).

@Zok

Are you aware that ‘simple apps’ changed ownership?

1 Like

Yes. As long it’s on F-Droid, I’m not too concerned about that.

2 Likes

But the F-Droid version won’t get any more updates - see here and here - and no longer appears to be available on F-Droid.

Fossify have made forks of the last free versions of the Simple apps. Their fork of Simple Gallery is here

I would recommend replacing any apps you have from SimpleMobileTools and replacing them with the Fossify versions

5 Likes

True, Thanks for reminding me about that.
Yeah, the one I have is the fossify one; my bad, forgot to mention about that.

1 Like

Send and receive files between Android, iOS, Linux, macOS, and Windows over ad hoc WiFi. No shared network or cell connection required, just two devices with WiFi chips in close range.

Don’t have a flash drive? Don’t have access to a wireless network? Need to move a file larger than 2GB between different filesystems but don’t want to set up a network share? Try it out!

https://github.com/spieglt/FlyingCarpet?tab=readme-ov-file#flying-carpet

(french) Pour les francophones : https://korben.info/flyingcarpet-transfert-fichiers-sans-fil-multi-plateformes.html.

2 Likes

Just wondering about some app like that recently. Thx

1 Like