[LIST] Recommended FOSS Applications

Installing it via F-Droid or App Lounge works for me on FP4 version 1.17-s stable.

1 Like

No need to replace, what already works for you, is already privacy-respecting and FOSS :wink:

3 Likes

I just found this (in german).

1 Like

Sorry. Misinterpreted your question I guess.
Regarding your requirements for editing, the pickings are really slim on the FOSS front.

(NLD) = No Longer Developed, Source Code No Longer Available.

1. Camera Roll (Not CameraRollX). Still a nice gallery despite its age. Has Crop and Rotate.
  2. Floral (NLD). Crashes on my crDroid A11 ROM. However, when using it as an Edit target I see it has Crop, Rotate, and I think Resize.
  3. LeafPic Revived (NLD). Looks and works nicely. Okay number of options. Has Crop, Rotate, and Scale.
  4. Gallery by Iacloblonut. Basic viewer with no editing features that I can see. @obacht , /e/ doesn’t use this but the standard Android com.android.gallery3d. At least up to my A11 build.
  5. Aves Libre. Great gallery app but no editing. Does have Rotate and Flipping. Same for Aves which is not fully FOSS.

One can use Google’s Snapseed as an editor. Yeah I know but at least it has no trackers. Deny it internet access and it can be useful if using a gallery with limited editing functionality.

3 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out. The basic set of editing features are what I like about onboard eOS-Gallery.

Thanks @marcdw and @Shakatus, I tried Aves Libre a few months ago, I really liked it but it lacks basic editing. It’s too bad to need two apps to do the same thing as one does, plus I don’t know any FOSS picture editing app. I will have a look at the other options you mention, while I still enjoy using Simple Gallery :slight_smile:

Look at here : https://alternativeto.net/software/simple-gallery/?license=opensource&platform=android

1 Like

Thanks a lot, I’ll check it out!

To add to my previous response…the dev team clarified that we do not fork from the SimpleMobileTool code. We may in the future offer alternates based on our default applications.

8 Likes

Hi, i use the Calendar from Simplemobiletools since aabout a year and now wanted to switch back to the e standard calendar just to find it in apps but all greyed out and inactive and no icon in the launcher anymore ?
Is there a way to revive such standard apps ?

This comment is mainly for my personal use :
right now, l’m still using

• Simple Calendar Pro ( package : com.simplemobiletools.calendar.pro),
  • Simple Contacts Pro SE ( package : de.ritscher.simplemobiletools.contact.pro),
  • Lecteur de musique simple ( package : com.simplemobiletools.musicplayer)

For what it’s worth, I have switched:

• from: Simple Music Player (com.simplemobiletools.musicplayer)
    • to Auxio (org.oxycblt.auxio, fantastic replacement)
  • from: Simple Gallery Pro (com.simplemobiletools.gallery.pro)
    • to: Aves Libre (deckers.thibault.aves.libre, still evaluating)
Reasons why, boring user story

I used to use Simple Music Player (com.simplemobiletools.musicplayer). Before this happened, I switched to Auxio, which is good but very fussy about album tagging (I had to raise my tagging game a lot!)

I don’t stream. My music collection is synced to my devices, and it is properly tagged, and each album gets a folder with cover.jpg files. Those covers sometimes appear in gallery software because the .nomedia trick isn’t applicable to a media folder like Music if an app doesn’t do its own indexing. The trick of renaming them to folder.jpg, which keeps some gallery software happy, doesn’t work consistently across all gallery software.

Before all of this, I was using Simple Gallery Pro which allows me to exclude certain folders from Android’s built-in media indexer results. Aves Libre does that too, and has a great many more features that I’ll probably never use. We’ll see where it goes.

2 Likes

Despite the fact that aves libre is not simple, it’s still a very excellent decision. Congrats.
I didn’t know the audio player I will give it a try but I guess I will stick to VLC.

I can tell you that this app has a lot of interesting features. It is indeed very useful to remove meta data from the image or to resize an image or to apply filters to it or to draw images or even to mask images and to manipulate them or to stitch images. However, there is one downside at least from my point of view. The user interface is a bit, let’s say, uncommon. What I mean by this is that the least part of the screen is for the image itself. Most other part of the screen is used for the settings and other stuff of the image manipulation process that the user aims to do. I find it sometimes a bit too complicated to do some simple image manipulation because it’s quite hard to see the changes happening on the images and that’s why I often use instead snapseed. The later is not an option for open source enthusiasts. I myself find it also challenging a bit to use this closed source software. However, this software is really really great for image manipulation.
Regarding the app that you started to talk about, I would like to say please try it. It’s definitely worth it. And the developer is very active. There are a lot of commits going on on his GitHub repository.? He also appears to be quite responsive to users.

Besides image toolbox that is also mentioned in this chat, I would like to mention the app called Imagepipe (removes exif data and modifies images to reduce size before sharing.)
https://f-droid.org/packages/de.kaffeemitkoffein.imagepipe/

This app has some useful features like crop resize or to blur some part or to add some text annotations on it and even filters are included. So it’s maybe worth a try.

1 Like

I am currently testing the two alternative SMT tools. (F-Droid)

OpenContacts : A different database for contacts to keep them private only to you.
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/opencontacts.open.com.opencontacts/

Koler : uniquely stylized phone app with customizable features
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.chooloo.www.koler/

F-Droid has suspended auto-updates for Simple Tools apps:
https://f-droid.org/en/2023/12/07/twif.html

9 Likes

Hi everyone. I currently use Simple Calendar Pro.
Any recommendations for a replacement!
FYI, Im not a fan of the layout on /e/ calendar.
Thanks

Substitute for SimpleMobile SMS Messenger

QKSMS Messaging app
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.moez.QKSMS/

1 Like

I am trying to switch to Etar atm but have problems importing the calendar ics exportet from simple mobile tools calendar to it.