[LIST] Release plan for /e/ R on new and supported devices

A few of the community have requested the gx290 be supported by /e/ because it is a rugged phone, and the gs290 is already a central part of /e/.

https://community.e.foundation/t/gigaset-gx290-plus/34260

https://community.e.foundation/t/gigagset-gx290-rugged-phoned/27763/21

Dont know just how rugged the gx290 is but I have the gs290 and it is a very good phone for the price.

4 Likes

So the nexus 5 “hammerhead” has been dropped?

No device has been dropped as yet. Some are simply refusing to be built !!! Various issues as mentioned here

3 Likes

Is there any sort of eta of R release for OnePlus Nord avicii?

3 Likes

We will have to port the avicci to /e/R. It is yet to be planned and implemented. Will update once I have any news on this.

3 Likes

Is Motorola Moto g50 XT2137-1 planned to be supported by /e/ ?

Better late than never :slight_smile: Here’s an unoffiicial R release for Z5 Compact suzuran, built from the v0.20-r tag

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=17825722713688244617

I have run through the same tests that I will be running on the forthcoming official v0.20-r releases and everything seems to pretty much work.

I have only tested a clean install, so be prepared to lose all your installed apps and data. There are some ways of migrating data from Q → R discussed in these forums (TWRP, SeedVault, Android backup and restore project) which may or may not work. Good luck, and have fun!

3 Likes

Nice one cheers, will give it a shot.

Thanks for the heads up, I’ve a backup /e/ phone with everything in place.

Hello
Can we have a hope to see the Samsung Galaxy A5(2016) a5xelte switch to the Android R version?
Thanks

Hi @saroumane38, a5xelte seems to be in the same boat as a3xelte, Samsung A3 (2016), LineageOS has not built successfully in Android R for this device. It is marked there as unsupported.

The following branches are officially supported for the Samsung Galaxy A5 (2016):
lineage-16.0
lineage-17.1

I can see that work is ongoing; I have tried unsuccessfully to build Android R for LineageOS for a3xelte. The recent changes in the 18.1 device tree for a3xelte do not give me any clue what the underlying issue is. There may be quite a long wait.

2 Likes

Hello all,
Can I ask about mido (Redmi Note 4)? If possible please add this phone to the list.
Thank you in advance!

Here’s hoping week 51 is in time for Christmas - any ideas the date of week 51? I’ve been trying to be patient for my Vayu hahahahaha @Manoj

Good point. Not all team members will be on vacation in the last weeks. We are still expecting to release and close out this list by the end of this year.

4 Likes

I can’t see any mention of the Xiaom Redmi Note 8 getting update to R, is this the case?

What is the device codename…is it ginkgo.

It is indeed. I think it would need manual porting as Lineage hasn’t updated yet for it.

We have a maintainer for the ginkgo…will check with him if /e/ R builds are possible. Will update.

2 Likes

Obviously thank you very much for the great work, but it’s kinda strange that a device that’s “officially” more supported than others does not have a plan for upgrades at least together all the other models. This makes choosing an official device a worse choice than having another one.

Best :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would have loved to close 2021 with the claim that we released all the devices we had on this list. But that did not happen :frowning: . We still have this set of devices which failed due to various issues in our build process.

• Xiaomi POCO F3 / Redmi K40 / Mi 11X (alioth)
  • Google Pixel 4a 5G (bramble)
  • Google Pixel 4 XL (coral)
  • Google Pixel 4 (flame)
  • OnePlus 8T (kebab)
  • OnePlus 9 Pro (lemonadep)
  • Google Pixel 5 (redfin)
  • Xiaomi POCO X3 Pro (vayu)
  • OnePlus One (bacon)

Will be following up with the team members once they return from their vacation on Monday. While we have made changes to our build system, there are some additional changes like updates to the manifest that need to be made to build some of these devices.
Hope to release them in the 1st week of 2022.
Also, plan to come out with a new list of devices to be added or upgraded to /e/ R.
Thanks to all the user who installed these builds and shared their feedback.

10 Likes

Happy New year Manoj!

It’s been an impressive rollout and the news bulletins are unprecedented in custom rom world; so many thank you’s for those.

Thank you for keeping this forum such a valuable resource for all of us looking for answers.

Bless you and all at /e/

7 Likes