[LIST] Release plan for /e/ R on new and supported devices

I noticed that the Xiaomi Mi 10T is on the list, does that mean the Mi 10 (without the T) will also be supported? :innocent:

Hi @Manoj will the Gigaset GS290 be getting R?
Not having it on this list is suprising as it is sold as a Murena phone and makes it seem like there arenā€™t plans to continue selling it as a Murena phone.

???
Where have you seen that ?

I donā€™t think you can draw that conclusion. All it means in my view is that an update to Android R is not yet planned. That may be because there is no LineageOS 18.1 build for this device. I couldnā€™t even find a Lineageos 17.1 ROM, but it must exist somewhere.

@piero @petefoth yep I could obviously be way off here, but I would have thought that the phones sold by /e/ would have been first to be added to this list as they would be the top priority devices for the /e/ foundation.

By experience not, s7 is still on nougat, s9 is still on oreo

In theory I agree, but /e/ depends a lot on the upstream developers who make the LineageOS ROMs on which /e/OS is based. The R release plans depend on - and are based on - what Lineage OS 18.1 ROMs are already available.

It may be that some Murena devices sold by /e/ will not get Android R updates, but /e/ have stated that they will support earlier Android versions of those phones.

1 Like

@piero @petefoth fair enough gentlemen, lack of knowledge of the release process etc on my part.

Who are you calling a ā€˜gentlemanā€™? :slight_smile:

Well Iā€™m halfway through a fancy Italian red, so in the mood for calling just about anyone a gentleman. :grin:

5 Likes

For devices we sell on our eSolutions shop we assign members from our porting team to help with the OS upgrade. This is especially true where the devices are not supported by LineageOS. The OS upgrade is a painful and slow process the first time :frowning_face: . Will update in these weekly posts as and when there is any positive news

3 Likes

Situation is a bit different for the s7 and s9 abandoned by Samsung and LineageOS, than others Murena Phones, considering the cooperation and relationship with Fairphone, Gigaset or Teracube

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been trying to work out which of the 190 devices would have the best long term support. Fair phone and newer one plus devices seem well supported. Hopefully the newer Samsung S10 devices will have decent support as well. FP4 with /e/ would be a logical new purchasing choice, hopefully when /e/ has been ported on to it.

Hello everyone,

I am pretty clumsy and often damage/break my phone.
I would like to know if there are ā€œrobustā€ smartphones that will support /e/ OS.
For instance, crosscall smartphones (CORE-M4 : smartphone compact, rĆ©sistant et fiable for instance) or others that I donā€™t know of

Thank you for your work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Galaxy s4active and s5active are not so robustā€¦

1 Like

Hello.

Good old Motorola from 2015, e.supported, are pretty robust, with a screen protectorā€¦ and a second one, clone, to replace the broken daily :wink:

Sorry, I have to admit I am a bit confused. Is codename alioth released or still planned with and still pending for a completion time slot. I just ordered an f3 and would like to know if I can go ahead and try installing R on it.

Many thanks!

1 Like

I think I found my answer here /e/ R beta testing, so I guess I will sign up for volunteer beta test work.

Hello trefix,

Ok, thanks, I will check it!

Merci

You can easily open and repair the Galaxy s4 or s4mini as a Fairphone

2 Likes