Looking for a good VPN for privacy

Hi, i heard about Mullvad , Blokada , RiseUp, some associative internet providers as FDN (French Data Network),
ProtonVPN, Bitmask.

some definite pros and cons to vpn’s but i would steer clear of any that do not accept anonymous forms of payment- Most require you to create an account with your information which in my opinion why even bother with a vPN? phones? steer clear of google play store and go with F-droid and have some self respect.

also to the moderator- i must state that these badges and rankings to be quite egregious; why must we have this? is this a competition for trying to help one another?

:slight_smile: the badges and ranking happens automatically in Discourse. The system assigns based on some usage statistics. It is not awarded personally though some users take it very seriously.

i think it is sad that people are in such a sad state that they need to be artificial socially engineered to feel good about themselves.

Yes, that’s a good point above. If you just look at the list of payment options for a vpn service, you can often tell whether that company is trustworthy or not.

I use OpenVPN’s Private Tunnel app with the /e/ OS. It’s paid, but saves me a lot of hassle and the $36 a year for 3 devices is not a ridiculous fee IMHO. Now I read a lot of comments about VPN providers tracking your traffic. I hope you can confirm that Private tunnel does not do this.

Second question: I couldn’t find private tunnel in the /e/ app store. I tried the request app option on my phone, but it does not recognise the package name of the app, so I asked for the APK and they sent it to me, so I can use the app on my /e/ phone device. Since OPENVPN seems to be a reliable party, can the private Tunnel app be listed in the /e/ app store?

1 Like

Airvpn , Mullvad and ProtonVpn = the top of the cream . they are the most implicated about internet freedom . Most of other ones are only merchants .
There is an intersting tool to chose a good VPN, please take a look to "that one privacy guy " site. A rare vpn test site wich isen’t sponsored by anyone…

1 Like

another interesting VPN service is WARP provided by cloudflare.

although i’m rather skeptical, if we should use or suggest this kind of very centralized services handled by huge monopolistic companies, but i still like a lot of the technical aspects utilized by this particular solution. it’s mainly based on wireguard, which is definitely one of the most promising VPN solutions available today, and cloudflare did also contribute some very interesting open source components (e.g. boringtun) to utilize this solution on all platforms.

it’s perhaps not the answer to all our needs and privacy considerations, nevertheless it could be an useful and efficient workaround to protect your network traffic at least against some other kinds of wiretap attacks resp. deep packet inspection by others.

1 Like

Hello,

ProtonVPN, the best for private life and vulnerability :

Who works better ?

martoni

Look in the comments of that blog post, putting proton apps into f-droid store are a priority for them it seems :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ProtonVPN is now open source for every OS

3 Likes

Just need them to now open source the Mail app and release to F-droid so we can get push notifications :smiley:

2 Likes

I am late to the party.

I can recommend privacytools.io community

https://www.privacytools.io/providers/vpn/

Warning

Using a VPN will not keep your browsing habits anonymous, nor will it add additional security to non-secure (HTTP) traffic.

If you are looking for anonymity , you should use the Tor Browser instead of a VPN.

If you’re looking for added security , you should always ensure you’re connecting to websites using encrypted DNS and HTTPS. A VPN is not a replacement for good security practices.

Hello,

Thx @Nastja, there are lots of good recommendations in http://privacytools.io/ community.

Are there others opinions about this VPN ?

martoni

Personally I use Mullvad, can pay with crypto, cross platform and don’t have to give any details and works very well.

1 Like

Look here for some of the best VPN services: https://www.privacytools.io/providers/vpn/
In no specific order:

• Mulvad VPN
  • IVPN
  • Proton VPN
  • Ovpn

https://azirevpn.com

It was one of the first one to work with Jason who wrote WireGuard VPN and I am first hand witness to it. I have been in touch with both parties over IRC. They even offered WireGuard VPN for free to promote it for a couple of months.

This VPN is a charity for the amount of efforts they put. They own all the servers and co-locate it themselves. Native IPv6 since day!

Try it out!

1 Like

I have been using NOrdVPN for years " BUT " in one of the store (/e/ or F-droid) I saw that the Mobile NordVPN client seems to use a lot of Google stuff ( trakers etc).

And discovered that ProtonMail launched a free VPN service and open source client for mobile !

Been using it (ProtonVPN) for a couple of days and will may be use it on my mobile device instead of NordVPN for which I’m paying for…

3 Likes

I would like to connect to my NAS over vpn. Everything is setup and the connection works on ios.
How can I make a connection with /e/? i do user trackerControl.

I assuem I have to switch of TC and make a new connection. ProtonVPN is not for a custom connection but for a “random” vpn connection. Is that correct? If yes, what application can I use to connect to my own NAS via vpN?