Looking to know more about Cloud Storage and File Transfer services to fine tune our future /e/ offerings

I guess I am not in your target market for this service. The survey didn’t include the services I use, nor the payment model I use. I use Amazon S3, Amazon Glacier and Backblaze. I don’t pay for a lump of storage, I pay for what I use (which is terabytes, and Glacier and Backblaze are both very cheap at this scale).

While I use these mainly from my PC, I do use some apps that integrate with them as backends.

Hi @MonsieurB, thanks for your feedback. We are looking into this kind of options too. More to come on this soon.

Hi @gcobb, we have indeed made a choice to focus on a set of commonly used services. We will study AWS and this type of services a a later stage. As far as BackBlaze is concerned, i was not aware of them before you mentioned them in your post. I’ll check what they have to offer for personal storage.

@alexis You might also have a look at the recently started Simple Singup initiative by Nextcloud as a distributed alternative to the big players: https://nextcloud.com/blog/introducing-simple-signup-you-can-now-get-started-with-nextcloud-in-2-steps/

I did the survey. I had expected, that e.foundation would ask for certain about the users thoughts in regard of security and encryption. But disappointingly there was no such question.

I vote that all data are to be encrypted before they leave the users device. I mean the way PanBox does it. As it is open source, it might possibly be used in /e/

/e/ uses Nextcloud. Nexcloud has e2ee built-in, but it’s a hot mess right now.

@moose thanks for your feedback. This first survey was really about most common cloud and file sharing services, trying to understand the basics. Down the line we will ask the community for their inputs around possible features to be included in our cloud service, stay tuned.

1 Like

Results from this survey available at following location: [RESULTS] Cloud Services and File Sharing Survey Results

Further comments reviewing the results are welcome on that new thread.

Closing this one.