Magic Earth - Open Source Updates?

It was mentioned some time back here: https://doc.e.foundation/maps that there was a hope that with enough adoption the team behind the MagicEarth app might agree to OpenSource it. I wonder if anyone knows if there have been any further conversations or updates around that. Is there still an expectation that this might happen?

Also there’s some mention of them having shared documentation. Does anyone know how many of their underlying data sources are open vs closed? For example they state their map data is based on OSM, does anyone know where their public transit data comes from?

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

2 Likes

Checking on the Magic Earth part. Will update.

When Gaël said this, I immediatly thought it would become open source. But can’t be sure.

1 Like

We are still awaiting a response from Magic Earth folks on this.

1 Like

Any response from the Magic Earth team?

@Manoj assume you’re still waiting on them?

No response from them so far. If there are any updates I shall share the same on this thread.

Given the lack of response from them is it worth maybe updating that documentation? Seems a little misleading to suggest it’s likely to be open sourced if they’re not willing to comment on it.

@Manoj What do you think about updating this?

We have discussed with the publishers of this application and while they have not decided yet to go open source, they have provided us documentation about the privacy behavior of this application. My personal feeling is that if we show enough adoption for this application, it will eventually turn open source.

Seems a little misleading if there’s been no response from them to suggest that open sourcing is still a possibility?

1 Like

Will check if there was an update on this else I guess we will have to correct our documentation accordingly.

@Manoj any update here?