Maps application

most of these apps are using Google TTS (Text To Speech)

PicoTTS (?) ships with /e/. It’s definitely robotic-sounding, but it works.

A better option that’s still open-source is the Flite TTS Engine (available through F-Droid). Speech quality is better than PicoTTS, though still a bit short of what I’d like, and it’s somewhat crashy.

If you’re not an open-source purist, the CereProc TTS packages (available through Google Play) produce better speech, are inexpensive ($1 each or so), and work without in-app purchases (each voice option is its own purchase). I’ve had the “Hannah” voice installed for a bit, and most of the voice prompts in Magic Earth work pretty well. The ones that don’t probably need fixing within Magic Earth (for instance, US-93 (a major part of the route between Las Vegas and Phoenix) gets pronounced “us-93” instead of “yoo-ess-93”).

I’m not sure but it looks that apps like Osmand with voice navigation only works with the Pico TTS languages (English, French, German, Italian, Spanish). I tried Flite but it has even less languages.

If it’s not open sourse, I tried to avoid it, so CereProc is not an option for me. Is there a way to use Osmand with e.g. Portuguese or Swedish? There is an option in Osmand to download the language packs but it does not work even if it is set.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Urban Sport Club APP keeps crashing

mmmm @Manoj why you splitted this topic? :smiley:

The topic was not split but a post was moved under another topic where there were similar posts. Discourse has common messages for some functions. If it was split and closed new entries would not have been possible here.

1 Like

Hi,
I have installed from F-droid the app “Maps” (just Maps). Looks like it’s the official app “Maps.me” but reworked to be without trackers and open source (Apache 2.0).
https://f-droid.org/fr/packages/com.github.axet.maps/

Could be a nice alternative, no ? :slight_smile:

Akha

PS: take care if the app can’t download maps at the first start, it’s because “WorldCoasts_obsolete.mwm” is missing from the official depot.
Annoying but I don’t know how to contact the dev about it.

If you want to try and find the same problem, you can correct it with:
https://adminblog.foucry.net/posts/info/maps_me/
For the old “WorldCoasts_obsolete.mwm”, I used an old one from here:

But it would be better to tell the dev :slight_smile:

The link above is now dead.

You still can find it in Google cache: