Media Player stuck with Spotify

Hey all,

I am facing an issue with the build-in media player when using Spotify.
This issue started with the S-Version of /e/OS. Right now I am using 1.17-s-20231113351092-dev-nio. Spotify recevied some updates through the usage. Currently I am running Version 8.9.6.458 of the Spotify App.

When the device is booted freshly and I start Spotify the first time for this boot the Media Player is displaying the correct title infromation of the song, pause and skip button are working as well. Both in lockscreen and in control center.
After I close the Spotify App the Media Player is stuck at the last played song. Reopening Spotify (or e.g. the build-in Music App) cannot access the Media Player anyone. No progress is shown, played song does not get updated, pause and play button are not working.
After rebooting the issue appears after the first time closing the Spotify App. Also tried it with the Music App. Quitting the Music App does not make the Player get stuck.

Once the Media Player stuck at a song bluetooth devices like cars or headphones are not able to skip songs, pause tracks and displaying the title of the song that was played when Spotify was closed no matter what track is being played.

In addition I used every possible configuration of the media player settings but the behavior has not changed. In the settings you can find “Fix Media Player” and “Show recommedations” which both can be activated or deactivated.

With /e/OS version e-1.8.1-r-20230206257804-dev-nio everything worked fine. This issue occured after upgrading to e-1.15-s-20230917331435-dev-nio. I did every update since then but there has not been a fix yet.

Anybody facing this issue as well or has some suggestion on how to fix it?

3 Likes

Hey,

I am facing the same issue. Everything as you described. This is pretty annoying especially when you are driving =/

cheers,

I have this problem too! the play/pause functions work fine, but the progress and all the song info are stuck

Same here. It continues to work somehow after force-closing spotify.

It’s especially annoying when running and trying to control playlists via external controls…

I have this problem too. It is so annoying I created this account to reply and I am seriously considering deinstalling /e/. Please please please do something about it!!

1 Like

Having the same issue. Most problematic is remote control by Bluetooth devices and requirement to unlock screen to stop playing.

Upgrade to 1.20-t didn’t helped.

I updated to 1.20-t recently and thought the issue was gone. After receiving the “Additional installation” warning when using Spotify I noticed that the issue is still there. Even though the additional installation warning is gone.
I am quitting Spotify in the “Settings” → “Apps” → “Force Quit” menu right now in order to avoid the remote control issue as it workings accordingly when started “fresh”.

1 Like

does the behaviour outlined in https://github.com/microg/GmsCore/issues/2118 fit your issue? there’s a bug fix that closed it 2 weeks ago. The commit is in /e/s main branch of the repo fork, so I guess it’s either inside e-v1.21 or the release after.

Edit: the linked forum thread at spotify has user “wlfkrb” suggesting spotify-lite as a working alternative (until the fix makes it to your release).

3 Likes

This could be the fix we were looking for. I will keep you updated when 1.21 is released.

1 Like

Sounds like the correct fix to me. I’m looking for the next release :+1:

Hello,
I tryed 1.21-rc on my FP5, the issue is fixed for me.

2 Likes

Can confirm that in v1.21 the issue does not occur! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello,

I have exactly the same issue, and my system is updated on the latest version e/os1.20-t-20240220382010-staple-fp5.

Will the fix be released with the next update or have i to change anything? A Version 1.21 is not available.

Thx very much
Simon

1 Like

1.21 for Fairphone is still in dev mode at the moment. In caae you trust e community and its development you can install 1.21-t-dev oj your fairphone like instucted. Otherwise you need to be Patient some weekts since the dev Version will become stabile.
Either wqy you will be satisfied once you can use 1.21.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the quick informations. If it will be fixed with the next update, its fine, i’ll be patient. Im not such an expert to use the dev-version. Until then im using the spotify-lite-app, this workaround works good.

Thx very much, greetings from Germany
Simon

Thank you so much for finally fixing this problem!! This was annoying af!!

I can confirm it is fixed on my side too! Such a relief, for both issues (media player being stuck and no Bluetooth controls).
Thanks a lot!