microSD card for Fairphone 6+

Hey there ! I’ve just bought a Fairphone 6+ and I’m looking for a 1 TB microSD card. I’m especially interested in feedback from people who are already using one with a 6th generation Fairphone.

What is the exact model of your card, how long have you been using it, and how well does it work with the Fairphone 6? Have you run into any compatibility, formatting, speed, disconnection, or reliability issues?

Thanks in advance :folded_hands:

Welcome to the community :waving_hand:

Between 2022 and 2024, I bought large capacity (beware, the following links lead to amazon.de) SanDisk Ultra, Extreme and Extreme Pro cards and used them in my Fairphone 3+ on /e/OS and and at times also used these in Fairphones 4, 5 and 6 on Android OS. The Extreme Pro is now in a Fairphone 6 (without plus) on /e/OS, but only for 1-2 weeks and very little use (this card was already in the device for like one year before I recently switched it from Android OS to /e/OS).

I never encountered serious issue with any of these, but writing speeds (from internal storage to card as well as via USB cable from computer to phone; I have no card reader, so cannot say if that would significantly improve speed) have always been much slower than I expected before I started using SDXC cards. If I want to transfer 300 GB of files to the card in one go, I plan like 12 hours for it. – I never shoot videos, so I cannot say if high definition video shooting causes issues.

The Extreme Pro was also temporarily in an FP6+ (when I swapped the card trays from the FP6 and FP6+ and did not even realize I was transferring the card within the tray) and instantly showed on it as well.

2 Likes

I am using a 1TB card in the FP6 on /e/OS. It is a cheap model made by Shenzen Shiyang Digital Co., Ltd. but it works as expected. I don’t need super fast transfer speeds tho

1 Like

The speed problem is IMHO unrelated to the card speed, Androids new access model (“storage framework”) is infamous for being slow, I am afraid.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to buy the fastest cards available (100 Mbit/s on high end cards). Concerning the capacity, I would advise against buying the highest capacity available: With increasing capacity the size of the silicon structures decreases, which in turn increases the risks of getting problems in the long run. It’s all statistics. Structures are so small that all it takes to damage one bit is an alpha particle… And if that bit happens to be in the file allocation table, this means trouble. Also, the largest cards utilize multi level cells, so they store more than one bit in one storage location.

Just get the size that you need, with some reserve for growth, but no bigger. For me that resulted in a quarter terabyte Sandisk Extreme Pro. I prefer those because they do come with a warranty, and up until recently they bundled them with a free rescue software that could find erased or lost files.

1 Like

Hello everyone,
Thank you for your feedback. I found a discounted 1 TB Extreme Pro, which should arrive today, so I’ll be able to test it :wink:

Have a lovely day!

2 Likes