Migrating call and sms history from android to murena using google drive backup

Hi there,
for some reason, the migrating function in murena’s menu has been deleted. I hoped to migrate ALL my data from google drive in one go to my new Fairephone 4 using this approach. It looks like the migration now is as much of a pain in the a… then it was when I moved from an Iphone to an android. Am i right to think so?
In any case, can someone help and tell me how to migrate all my data in the most efficient/easiest way - incl. call & sms history?
Thanks a bunch,
Sonia

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/OS the deGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

1 Like

For SMS and call history try SMS Import Export from F-Droid

Checkout the solutions in this wiki post. They won’t backup ‘EVERYTHING’ , but they are the best I’ve found. Also checkout Adebar, which looks promising but I haven’t had time to test it yet.

3 Likes

Hi Pete, thanks a lot, I’ll try that :slight_smile:

Hi Pete,
I am still on holidays and I wonder what requirement there are to do the transfer with sms IE from F-Droid. I checked your wiki post and the link to the app but could not find an instruction to follow… I e.g. do I need a cable to transfer (because I do not have the required adaptors here…) or can I use bluetooth etc. I am sorry but I am a little lost…
Cheers, sonia

Hi Sonia

Easiest way is if you have an SD card in your current device: export Messages, Call Logs, (and Contacts if you wish) to the SD card. Put the SD card in your new device, and import the exported items from the SD card.

If you don’t have an SD card, then export to a folder on your current device, and copy the exported files to a connected computer. Then copy to a folder on your nw device and improt from there.

A more complicated way is to export to a folder that gets synched with your murena cloud account. I used the NextCloud sync client app from F-Droid, even when I was running /e/OS on my phone, as /e/'s sync solution was very flakey and buggy. I don’t know /e/'s sync software has improved since then, but NextCloud is tried and tested software. Anyway, if you’re planning a ‘one-off’ migration, them using an SD card ofr on-device folder is the easient

In SMS IE, to set the location for export, got to Settings (from the 3 dots menu), then Export to directory

1 Like

Hi Pete,
Excellent, thanks so much for your help. I am using my SD card right now!

1 Like