Missing apps in /e/ app store

I do not find many apps which I would like to use (e.g. Consorsbank app, Postbank Finanzassistent, WeahtherPro, …).
How can they be made available without using GooglePlay?

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

1 Like

Install Aurora Store (you can find it on /e/ AppStore).
There, you get all the apps of google play store.
Bye

2 Likes
  • you can use the “request a new app” feature in the /e/ app store
1 Like

Hi,

I’ve remarked that application for French bank Societe Generale is not on the app store. There’s only the Ghana Societe Generale.

This one is a big miss for quite a lot of French users, as Societe Generale is the second most important bank in France.

The app is here on Google Play Store : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.societegenerale.mobile.lappli&hl=en

Its ID is mobi.societegenerale.mobile.lappli and when I tried to request it it says it has already been requested. Could you please add it ? This is my biggest miss and it features a mandatory thing for their customers, the “Pass Sécurité” (some kind of 2FA)

So okay it’s available through Aurora but well, not exactly satisfying since Google block them at any time.

Les banques ne se font pas ch…, utilisent du gg “clefs en main” sans se soucier de ceux qui n’ont pas / ne veulent pas des “gg plaie sevices”. Jette un œil à mes posts ‘SNCF’, ça te donnera peut-être une idée pour trouver un bricolage qui fonctionne pour toi.

Mais ce sont des choix startégiques assez désastreux pour l’uitlisateur, qui voit ses donnée bancaires pompées par gg et 'mazon (un coup d’œil à la liste affichée par µblock origin, dans le navigateur de l’ordi. fait froid dans le dos).

Bon courage.

L’appli Boursorama est bien présente et a priori c’est l’équipe /e/OS qui pousse les appli sur son store (ou les référence). Bon Aurora a le mérite de mettre en place des applis plus récentes mais quand même les applis bancaires deviennent de plus en plus critiques à cause des authentifications à deux facteurs.

(DeepL : ‘Banking applications are becoming more and more critical because of two-factor authentication.’ said julek)

Yes, that’s a pity, banks don’t care about common users’ privacy, using ggPS, aws and so on without consent nor alternative.

e.App store is just a provider and can’t guarantee that apps will work smoothly with /e/. Just lists trackers and estimates its ‘privacy’…

But if it acts as a proxy could it integrate those apps in its “white list” ?

I want to suggest the app “Eqiva Lock, eQ-3 AG” for the /e/ app store, but I can not find the"request a new app" feature in the /e/ app store. I am using a Samsung Galaxy S6 with /e/ 06.2019060312136. Newer Versions do not run on this phone. Maybe the feature is not included within this old image.

There is an unofficial Oreo build for zeroltexx, you could use it :

https://ecloud.global/s/627roJggCMLQYDa

This unofficial build is a Test version, it is not fully working according to some users feedback .
The last working official dev build is nougat from 2020.02.15

1 Like

Newer Versions of /e/ include this feature. I have installed /e/ on an FP2 and found the “App-Suggestion”-Feature.

How can I request a new app in the /e/ app store? I did not find this feature.

In the settings of Apps you’ll find an option to request missing apps.

Thank you! I’ll try it!

Hello,
In 2019 when I started using /e/, I requested some apps that were missing in the /e/ app store.

After a while some of them became available for installation, but 2 years later I remark that some others are not yet. If I launch a new request, I get the answer that the app is already available or already requested.

Is there a way to check why these apps are still missing despite the request? Or to open a ticket for that?

Thanks!

2 Likes

I am also wondering about the progress of an app request. I am not even sure that the request was entered correctly, since I never saw a confirmation. I posted a separate topic before I noticed this one (Checking progress from Google store to /e/ Apps).

If someone knowledgeable (which is not me) can write a comprehensive discussion of installing Apps under /e/ OS, that will be very helpful.

The remainder of this post is just general muddled musing on the organization of Apps, which might help a knowledgeable person understand the low level of understanding of potential readers.

I have the /e/ Apps store, and something called F-Droid. I just read about the Aurora store and found a [HOWTO] for using it ([HOWTO] Download every app in the Google Play Store thanks to Aurora Store). But I am reluctant to have 3 different routes for loading Apps, and I don’t understand the long term implications. E.g., if I pull an App through Aurora, and it appears later on the /e/ store, I probably want to switch over. Would I have to check regularly for such things? That’s just an example of a bit of confusion that perhaps could be fixed by a good document. I appreciate that it is not easy to organize these [HOWTO]s, so this is just a soft suggestion, not a complaint.

1 Like

As I read more about installing Apps with Aurora, as well as with the /e/ store, I find that I don’t understand the difference. Do /e/ programmers clean up the apps, perhaps purging some Google dependencies? Do they vet them for some good qualities? Is the main point to anonymize the use of the App? One person mentioned that Aurora violates the Google terms of service in its anonymous access. Does /e/ satisfy Google while providing anonymity? Is it possible to install Apps directly from Google Play? If so, what exactly am I exposed to? If it were merely letting Google know that I have the App, not so bad. If it allows Google surveillance to run within the App, much worse.

Any sort of general explanation of the App world would help. My new Teracube with /e/ OS is the first “smart” phone that I have ever used, so I cannot update a previous understanding of Apps by just considering the changes made by /e/.

No. /e/OS developer do not alter the apps that come through the App Store. You can check this using a PGP signature check, or a checksum.
We also do not share any inputs with google regarding this. The point to be noted is if a user is installing an app like WhatsApp or Facebook on top of /e/OS then their information is for sure going to pass on to Google through these particular apps. Also not all apps that can be installed on /e/OS will work as some have a clear dependency on Google code. You can find a list here.

1 Like

Thanks. That helps a lot.

I am still not totally sure of the point of the /e/ App Store. I am guessing that anonymizing the download of the App is a key advantage (but, as you point out, there may be further surveillance through the App), and that you include only Apps that will probably work with microG. Also, some of the basic /e/OS Apps are probably not in the Google Play Store at all.

This post by Gael on a connected topic seems to imply that the main point of the /e/ App Store is to download anonymously.

Going on to the Aurora confusion, it seems that there is no disadvantage to an App downloaded through Aurora vs. the /e/ App Store, but the use of Aurora itself requires some work to avoid conflict with the /e/ App Store on items that are in both.