Mobile Data Keeps Switching Off

Anyone seen a problem where mobile data seems to toggle itself off? Its happening quite regularly. Haven’t quite figured what makes it do it. Just wondered if anyone else has same problem? Just annoying having to toggle it back on again.

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/OS the deGoogled mobile OS and online services

My first guess is a 4G / 5G switch. Can you rule that in or out?

Or is it connected with movement? Like moving in and out of “free” Wi-Fi networks or hotspots.

There are also signal strength indicators, for instance MobiloSignal | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

I was having trouble with loosing the mobile data when moving from home to work and vice versa. I switched the phone from using 5G/auto to strictly 4G and the problem was solved. (I don’t have 5G on my mobile data plan).

1 Like

It does look like when I move between WiFi networks - for example, between work and home. I may try turning off 5G the same and see if it changes anything. Will report back later.

Can’t actually find anywhere to turn off 5G. I’m on EE in the UK. There is an option to turn off 5G voice calls.

You should find something in Preferred Network Type, found in the same area as APN, that is under

Internet > Carrier_ name :gear:

Yeah, no option visible. There did use to be an option there with my old network provider. But I switched a few weeks ago and don’t seem to have option anymore.

I see

https://ee.co.uk/help/service-status

(??).

So it looks like I found a fix. If you set Keep Mobile Data Active in Developer Options, the problem seems to go away. I can’t remember what the default option would be, is whether I turned it off by mistake.

….correction, still not fixed…. It did it again yesterday. Seems to happen when I switch from WiFi at work back to my home WiFi. Mobile data toggle switches itself off.

A possible workaround, if you’ve not tried already, may be to create a System Profile (Settings > System > System profiles), triggered by connecting to your Home Network and with a resulting action being to turn on Data Connection.

Just FYI, the default is “Mobile data always active”.

FIXED: Duh, if I go into the Silent system profile which was set to trigger on connection to my work network, it was set to turn Mobile Data off. :face_with_peeking_eye:

Don’t remember setting any of that. Lol.