Moto G5 always runs in fastboot flash mode but works fine

Hello There

I installed version 1.19 (cedric) successfully on a Moto G5 successfully. I have 2 problems:

1. The device always boots to AP Fastboot Flash Mode (secure). I select the “start” entry and the device boots successfully to eos.
  2. After selecting 1.20 from the update section in android settings, the device will be updated, but after reboot the 1.19 is still there.

After that, I moved to 1.20 for recovery image and flash. But the problem still exists.

Anybody else has the same problem? How can I solve the problem, that the device automatically boots into the os? It is annoying every time to select Start from the fastboot mode.

Could it be, that the 2 problems depends on each other?

Thanks for reading this

Birnbub

Just a thought … is there any chance that you have sticking Volume Up / Down buttons; this might explain this behaviour. Cleaning the buttons and aperatures with a microscopic amount of silicone cleaner or grease might be a fix.

This is absolutely not normal behavior for a Motorola Moto device. Have you installed the latest available Android 8.1 firmware as recommended in the /e/ documentation?

Tip: Before installing /e/OS on the Motorola Moto G5 cedric for the first time, install the latest stock OS version 8.1 build on the device.

Before following these instructions please ensure that the device is on the latest Android 8.1 firmware.

Thanks for your advice. It is a brand new one. I think there is not a chance that it is polluted. This behaviour appeared just after installing the e/os.

Hi Xxpsilon
Thanks for your help. But it is at all not possible to install e/os if you are not on 8.1. I have had this problem. My device was at 7.0. So I flashed with that one from Motorola/Lenovo:

Motorola_Moto_G5_XT1675_CEDRIC_RETEU_SS_8.1.0_OPP28.85-19-4-2_CID50.zip

Maybe the problem stays in relation with the installation of the motorola system.

Birnbub

That would be exceptional. I would try another ‘clean install’ with /e/OS V1.20.

1 Like

Ok, I started again and installed the Lenovo firmware again:

Motorola_Moto_G5_XT1675_CEDRIC_RETEU_SS_8.1.0_OPP28.85-19-4-2_CID50.zip

Unfortunately I can’t remember where I got the file from. Anyway, within the file I found the flashfile.bat and converted it to a bash script. Starting the phone into fastboot mode and flashing it moves the problem away.

After that, I installed the recovery + e/os.zip file and the problem has been solved.

Many thanks to all the people who made this possible.

Birnbub

1 Like