Moto G5 - Installation issue

Hello,

I have an issue during the installation of /e/OS on a Moto G5 Cedric.
I can install the recovery ant begin to install the OS.
But, at the end, I have this message :
“ERROR ; This package requires formware from an Android 8.1 based stock ROM build. Please upgrade firmware and retry !
E:Error in /sideload/package.zip (status 1)”.

I am sure that my version of Android is 8.1.0 (I was sure at the first time, but I checked and retried : I am on 8.1.0). So I don’t understand the issue…

Thank you for your help !

Mat

Edit : logically, I had the same issue with Lineage OS 18.1.

Hello,
Finally, I succeeded ! An update was possible but not in the Android system of the phone.
My version was : Android 8.1.0 - OPPS28.85-13-6.
And It’s possible to install a newer version with TWRP : “adb loadside cedric-twrp-OPPS28.85-19-4-2.zip”.
Mat

1 Like

Could you please point me to source of newer Android image you mention? I got the same error while flashing /e/, that’s how I found the thread; I’ve tried “cedric-twrp-OPPS28.85-19-4-2.zip” from androidfilehost, but with that file adb sideload fails almost immediately with “E:footer is wrong”.

My G5 also was already on 8.1, I have checked…

OK, seems I have managed to install /e/, so I’ll write down how, for others (and for my own memory, should I ever need to install it again). Just a reminder, that I’m not privy to how the system works and I was merely glueing together informations I’ve found. Also, I just hope that third-party site I got the needed file from did not modify it in any way, but I have no way to confirm it, other than it seems recognized on xda-developers.

Some steps were maybe not needed, but this is how I did it.

Following offcial instructions I encountered the same error as Mat35:

ERROR: This package requires firmware from an Android 8.1 based stock ROM build. Please upgrade firmware and retry!
E:Error in /sideload/package.zip (status 1)

My phone was on 8.1 and there was no OTA available. Following Mat35’s suggestion I’ve tried flashing “cedric-twrp-OPPS28.85-19-4-2.zip”, but the file I’ve found (on androidfilehost) was unflashable, adb sideload was immediately throwing an error.

On xda-developers I’ve found a suggestion to flash only modem firmware, taken from original Motorola ROM. I’ve found such ROM, matching my specific device (XT1676, RETEU — many posts suggest RETAIL, I suppose RETEU is for European version, and as the regulations concerning radios are different across the world, I wanted to have EU version) on https://motostockrom.com/ . In my case, it was https://motostockrom.com/motorola-moto-g5-xt1676 (the RETEU version is further down the page, not the first one. Check the filename).

From the downloaded .zip i extracted file Firmware/NON-HLOS.bin (md5 is 3605a87a6e4ba36c2f995204a7ec2aa6)

I rebooted into bootloader (adb reboot bootloader), issued command fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin, then rebooted (still into the original system) to check that I can still access the mobile network and data. I could.

Then I followed the original instructions, with the additional step, that in “Installing a custom recovery using fastboot” section, just before flashing recovery, I did fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin (yes, again, probably not needed), then proceeded to fastboot flash recovery ... and followed the instruction without further modifications.

Everything works, just one thing seems different: on stock ROM, I had “LTE+” mark, now it’s just “LTE”. I don’t know what the actual difference is; mobile data and calls work, and I have not tested speeds before, so I have nothing to compare against now.

I hope it would be helpful to someone who encouters the same strange error of ”updating 8.1 to 8.1”.

1 Like