Moto G7 Plus (lake) installation problem

First post!

I bought a Moto G7 Plus recently specifically to install /e/ and jump to it as my daily driver if all went well. I’m afraid that I’m stuck. Following instructions her e https://doc.e.foundation/devices/lake/install

Motorola USB driver is installed.
Android Dev kit is installed.
Bootloader was unlocked with the code from Motorola.

From the CMD prompt (As Administrator)…

adb boot bootloader

But I’m having a hard time getting the temporary recovery to boot.

D:\>fastboot boot twrp-lake.img
Sending 'boot.img' (32754 KB)                      OKAY [  0.714s]
Booting                                            (bootloader) permission denied!
FAILED (remote: '')
fastboot: error: Command failed

If, whilst in the bootloader, I select RECOVERY with the volume controls and press the power button, the phone boots but not into what I would call a recovery app. I see “No command” for about 30 seconds and then it reboots normally.

In BOOTLOADER LOGS…

cmd: download:01edf000
cmd: boot

I have the copy-partitions.zip file uploaded to /sdcard for the subsequent step but I can’t get to the temporary recovery.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Danny

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

The temporary recovery image you are using is for “River” (G7, twrp-3.5.2_10-0-river.img) not “Lake” (G7 Plus). This is likely your problem.

Yes thanks.

I caught that mistake after I posted this but I still have the same problem.

1 Like

Are you using a Windows box? From what I see it appears your bootloader is not unlocked. I say this because your Terminal/Command Prompt/Power Shell (not sure your OS) is returning (bootloader) permission denied! Do you see “flashing_unlocked” on the second from last line when in download/fastboot mode? :point_down:

You know what, I missed the warning when I ran the fastboot oem unlock ############ where it said I needed to run the same command again to be sure.

Now I have TWRP booted up!

Thanks for spotting that!

1 Like

Glad you got it fixed. I have two G7 Plus’ running /e/ based on Android 10/Q. Amazing device for the cost! Enjoy.

I’m flashing /e/ right now!

Flashing A/B zip to inactive slot: B

All I had to do was READ WHAT IT SAID!. Noob mistake. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for the tip.

1 Like