Moto X Play (Lux) upgrade to Q fails to bootloop in TWRP

hello,
just tried to upgrade my Motorola X Play (lux) to Q, using Linux Mint 20. Now I please need help or a hint from a pro.

First try:
Flashing the lastest TWRP (twrp-3.5.0_9-0-lux.img) was successful, also adb sideload for e-0.14-q-2021020199535-dev-lux.zip. script succeeded: result was 1,00000.

After doing so, I press “Reboot System” => system. This shows the message “No OS installed! Are you sure you wish to reboot?” => Swipe to Reboot
“Warning Bootloader unlocked” is shown as usual, followed by “e” and the bumping point below. BUT about 2 minutes later, my smartphone reboots again starting TWRP. But not TWRP in lastest version (3.5.0). An older version TWRP 3.2.3-r1 now shows it’s options.

Second try:
Using an older version of TWRP ends like first try.

Third try:
Instead of TWRP I use recovery-e-0.14-q-2021020199535-dev-lux.img. Everything is fine, reboot, “e” with the bumping point is shown … but after 2 minutes, my smartphone reboots to TWRP 3.2.3-r1.

Any ideas to escape this bootloop?

addendum
Fourth try:
using latest twrp-3.5.0_9-0-lux.img but now instead of the brandnew Android Q image, I servce an older Android N image: e-0.9-n-2020051554230-dev-lux.zip

Installation completes successfully, everything works fine. The offered update to 0.14 N also completes successfully.

Any ideas, why the update and upgrade to 0.14 Q fails?

I have encountered this a few times when flashing various Sony devices. What worked for me was formatting - not just wiping - the data partition in TWRP before flashing the ROM. Of course this will lose all your data and user-installed apps, and it may not be possible to restore a pre-format TWRP data backup.

@ petefoth
Thank you for your advice, I’ll give that a try. Fortunately, there’s no user-data on the smartphone …

Next try
I picked the latest files of twrp and upgrade to e014Q at the installation-guide Lux instal guide
After wiping and formatting all data, I started installing e014Q directly inside TWRP.
Again a loop, the jumping “e” is shown for about 2 oder 3 minutes, reboot and again I found myself back in TWRP.
Doing all these steps with e014N is a success and works pretty fine.
Any suggestions or ideas to fix that?

Tried to upgrade to e015-Q, following TWRP instructions.
First attempt: Latest version of TWRP, fails after installation completes ro reboot. The dot under e jumps for a minute vor two, but ends up to reboot to e.
Second attempt: using recovery of e and loading e015-Q from SD card. After reboot, the dot under e jumps for a while, but ends up to reboot to e-recovery. It shows these informations:

How to solve this?

Any suggestions or ideas?

Are you able to run the download manually by browsing to it through the TWRP File Manager…as mentioned here

@Manoj
thanks for the reply. I did a manually download of e015-Q to the SD card. After that, I rebooted to TWRP, followed the instructions of https://doc.e.foundation/devices/lux/upgrade. After wiping (first: format data button. second: wipe screen select system + data + cache) I first tried to do the upgrade via “adb sideload”, using Linux Mint. No success. Second try: After wiping data, I started installing e015-Q directly from within TWRP (zip file on SD card).
Next try was doing all this using eRecovery. Also no successful happy end …
Am I doing something wrong in TWRP concerning the wiping? I did it according to the manual I mentioned above.
Greetings Jörg

Hello community and hello @Joerg ,
i have just encountered the very same issues with the lates TWRP and the latest /e/ OS Image.
No matter what i do, wether it being wiping, formatting or factory resetting, it will always eventually get stuck at the intitial /e/ OS boot.
Please help the Moto X Play users :pleading_face:

Check this :