Motorola - edge 30 - dubai - Documentation Suggestions

…Enter suggestions to improve documentation in this category. Do not raise bugs or issues here…

In the documentation asks you to download the latest /e/ ROM for example from one month ago.

But when flashing partitions you have to get the latest dtbo.img and vendor_boot.img from lineage which is usually newer than /e/ and the flashing will fail because it will detect it as a downgrade.

You should choose the one before the rom you downloaxed’

Thank you, Guillermo! In addition to your hint, I have two more troubleshooting tips to share with future readers…

Guillermo’s Hint: SPL Downgrade Workaround
As of 2023-07-09 there are four sub-folders in the flashing_additional_partitions section.

Initially I used these files, but encountered the SPL downgrade message (and failure):

• 20230706/dtbo.img
  • 20230706/vendor_boot.img

I tried again with these files and was succesful:

• 20230615/dtbo.img
  • 20230615/vendor_boot.img

I suspect this worked because the recovery image and installation files are dated eight days later.

• recovery-e-1.12.3-s-20230616300623-dev-dubai.img
  • e-1.12.3-s-20230616300623-dev-dubai.zip

Therefore, if someone is reading this in the future, perhaps you can use a similar strategy in case the documentation has not been updated.

Signature Validation Error
It’s also worth noting that I received a signature validation error, for which I needed to acknowledge to bypass. Coincidentally, this appeared around 47%.

ERROR:    recovery: failed to verify whole-file signature
Update package verification took 100.6 s (result1).
ERROR:   recovery: Siganture verification failed
ERROR:   recovery: error: 21
Installing update...
Step 1/2

Based on this signature validation prompt, I’m not sure if I’ve done this correctly. This is the first time that I’ve ever successfully unlocked an Android phone and installed a ROM. I could never get my old Xiaomi phone to successfully unlock.

Try Unlocking from Motorola UK Site instead of US site
After purchasing the device, I needed to wait just three days for the OEM unlocking to become available, but Motorola’s US unlock site kept giving me a “Your device does not qualify for bootloader unlocking.” message. I had to join Lenovo’s forum, and they suggested using Motorola’s UK support site to unlock the device instead of the US one.
https://en-gb.support.motorola.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-b
This worked!

Final Words
To any developers reading this, I want to say thank you for your efforts on adding support for the Motorola Edge 30 As a long-time Apple user, I recently learned about the e OS and wanted to give it a try. I chose this device because it was the newest ones on the supported device list available in my region. It was also surprising that it was 40% cheaper than the cheapest iPhone.

This process was relatively painless and it’s nice to have a modern device which I hope to get many years of use out of.

You may add in the documentation that you have to wait a few days before the “Unlock” option is available on brand new device.

For the workaround, it’s not always possible. For example today:
the last recovery image is recovery-e-1.14-s-20230818321663-dev-dubai.img => 2023/08/18
but the oldest image is from 2023/08/24

In the installation documentation, instead of downloading the dtbo.img and vendor_boot.img images from LineageOS, it will be more consistent to extract these item from the full image. In some case the version of these files corresponding to the /e/-os one may not be available.

The procedure is described in : OnePlus - 9 Pro - lemonadep - Documentation Suggestions - #7 by bofh666

1. download [latest release of payload-dumper-go ](https://github.com/ssut/payload-dumper-go/releases) to the same directory (*) where /e/OS build ZIP file is
2. open terminal an `cd` to (*) directory
3. extract payload: `unzip e-*-s-*-dev-dubai.zip payload.bin`
4. extract payload-dumper-go: `tar xzvf payload-dumper-go_1.2.2_linux_amd64.tar.gz payload-dumper-go`
5. run `./payload-dumper-go -partitions dtbo,vendor_boot -o . payload.bin` command — needed files will appear in (*) directory.
1 Like

Hello,

In the upgrade documentation:
https://doc.e.foundation/devices/dubai/upgrade

It will be nice to add one step in “Manually upgrading your dubai to T”:

• Set you device in recovery mode

https://images.ecloud.global/dev/dubai/recovery-e-1.14-s-20230818321663-dev-dubai.img

It is not possible to unpack/mount the img, the image is damaged, it says.

mount recovery-e-1.14-s-20230818321663-dev-dubai.img /mnt/eos/

mount: /mnt/eos: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop2, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

This is the best way how to do it in my view. It keeps things consistent.

Is there a way how to suggest or contribute the doc update? I am happy to make some PR or something to update the doc based on my latest experience.

Documentation instructions to extract dtbo.img and vendor_boot.img from e-recovery.img – #7386.