Motorola - Moto G 5G / Motorola One 5G Ace - kiev - Documentation Suggestions

…Enter suggestions to improve documentation in this category. Do not raise bugs or issues here…

This is an install on the XT2113-2 in the USA.

Under Steps to install /e/OS from recovery” :

Steps 12 and 13 were different for me - at 47% the process paused, and the console on the phone displayed “Step 1/2” and after a few minutes “Step 2/2”. The console on the PC said:

serving: ‘e-1.0-r-20220527188878-dev-kiev.zip’ (~47%) * failed to read command: No error

At this point the process seemed done, and after rebooting from recovery, the phone booted into /e/ OS normally. (installation successful)

Otherwise I’d say the documentation was generally easier to follow (for this phone). This is my 4th device installation of /e/ and it was the smoothest of all.

One note – on a 2nd, different phone, I never received this on the PC/cmd console:

serving: ‘e-1.0-r-20220527188878-dev-kiev.zip’ (~47%) * failed to read command: No error

That might have been related to that particular phone, which was a version that was hard locked to the carrier (Xfinity Mobile - beware, do not attempt installing any OS with any Xfinity Mobile phone unless you are the original owner of said phone).

But the 2nd phone console displayed the 'Step 1/2, Step 2/2" same as above, and booted into /e/ normally.

~ 1 year later, upgraded from 1.8.1 R to 1.11 S.

It was not necessary to install stock Android 12, i.e. I simply flashed S over the existing version and I have not experienced any major showstoppers. At the time of this post ( ~1 month after switching my carrier) I was experiencing a minor issue with the APN switching back on its own to my former carrier’s APN, which caused some SMS failures (group and photo texts). I am not certain if the APN’s are locked on the phone, I am not rooted, and I’m currently troubleshooting it.

Note: the post above mentioning Step 1/2 and 2/2 showing in the console happened during the upgrade to S too.

Hi @cornfarmer ,

So when you updated, you just flashed the 1.11 over the old 1.8? I’m curring running 1.7s and can’t seem to remember how I was able to upgrade in the past without wiping the phone. When I try to apply the update from recovery, I’ll sideload and the result status is 0. It bootloops a few times then boots normally back into the old 1.7 version.

Do I need to just reboot to fastboot and flash the 1.11s zip?

As a side note, I have already backed everything up, just cannot remember if upgrade without wipe is possible.

Thanks!

If I understand you correctly, maybe you did not load the recovery for 1.11 as well (first), or perform the format step…?

https://doc.e.foundation/devices/kiev/install

Installed e-1.19.1-t-20240113373116-dev-kiev yesterday and had the same experience, The PC gets to ~47% and stops the phone displays the verifying file message (sorry don’t remember exact wording) it then displays Step 1/2, then Step 2/2 and finally returns to the recovery selection menu. The PC never changes from ~47% and I had to Ctrl-C to get out of adb sideload. However after rebooting the phone the /e/os booted and everything looked good. I was able to get the OTA update to 1.20 T.

adb sideload e-1.19.1-t-20240113373116-dev-kiev.zip
opening ‘e-1.19.1-t-20240113373116-dev-kiev.zip’…
connecting…
serving: ‘e-1.19.1-t-20240113373116-dev-kiev.zip’ (~47%)

On the install procedure page in notes that there may be a delay at the 47% mark, but when the phone returned to the recovery boot menu I re-flashed it several time thinking that this was a failure. It would be worth making a change in the install docs.