Motorola - Motorola Moto G7 Plus - lake - Documentation Suggestions

Updated installation notes. To install /e/ on the G7 Plus, and possibly other Motorolas, you need the following:

1. You need to use the UK Motorola site to unlock your phone, not the linked US one. The US one is broken as I write this (June 2023).

2. Do not use usb-c to usb-c cable, it won’t work correctly (at least, it doesn’t work on Macs). Always prefer usb-c to usb-a. Otherwise, while trying to flash /e/ towards the end of the installation process, it will stop at the “Verifying update package”.

3. Where the instructions say to do: fastboot boot recoveryimage.img, you must do instead: fastboot flash boot recoveryimage.img. Otherwise, when you reboot the recovery is not there for the phone to load. It must flash it in.

4. On the first /e/ boot, it will fail. It will boot on the recovery again, instead of /e/. Just factory reset again (there’s an option for that) and just reboot. Upon the second boot, /e/ will load correctly.

I owe it the e Foundation community to give back.
So just attempted to upgrade from Q to S. (It would have been nice if a “manual upgrade is required” was communicated in the System Upgrade “app” on the phone instead of wondering why I haven’t had any updates in over 6 months)
The upgrade directions could be improved to say, If you do upgrade your phone to latest firmware using the Rescue and Assist software please treat it as an initial install and follow the install for first time instructions, meaning you will need to fastboot the recovery images to be able to then sideload the S upgrade.
I was wondering why the upgrade file was failing verification until I realized that the phone revert to the stock recovery, which is really not a recovery image at all.

Here is what I really came to post… .Darn you USB 3.0/3.2 (shaking fist at my System76 which only has USB 3.2 ports). I was stuck on trying to flash boot recovery.img, and stuck at “Sending ‘boot.img’”. I keep trying and trying to no avail. Some google gave me some hints to use a USB hub, when it dawned on me that it maybe a USB 2.0/3.0 issue. And sure enough it was. When I connected the phone up to a computer that had USB 2.0 ports I was able to successfully fastboot the recovery image, and then was able to sideload the S upgrade without issue.

Keep up the good work /e/!

I can one up point 3. They should update that step, I peeked over at lineage instruction. To get it working.

Greetings new installers, be aware you need ADB version 1.0.32 or later for the phone to fully implement adb side load, this is only brought to your attention after you attempt to load it on your device, in the e recovery device screen .Just got mine installed today after a long break from Windows ehem.(linux )
This is how I eventually got my installation on;-

1 I placed a copy of the rom on my sd card
2 followed instructions on the device screen after factory reset , wipe data etc.
3 when it came to load rom from adb, in the e recovery window on the phone I instead chose from disk > then selected rom from sd card > then enter on phone and it started loading.
This is how I know that for adb sideload you need adb version 1.0.32, as the phone screen stated E; ADB sideload requires version 1.0.32 or later mine was showing version 1.0.31
Hope this is helpful
Rockinron