Motorola X Play XT1562 fails upgrading to e015-Q

Hello
today I did successfully update my LUX from e014-N to e015-N:

• download of the update zip-file via the updater of /e/
  • reboot to latest version of TWRP (twrp-3.5.1_9-0-lux.img)
  • install of the update zip from lineageOS-folder
  • reboot to system with e015-N successfully installed

Now, next attempt to do an upgrade to Q.

• reboot to latest and recommended version of TWRP (
    twrp-3.5.1_9-0-lux.img) that is already installed and ready to use
  • according to instructions of LUX=>upgrade
    • format data
    • wipe system+data+cache
  • installing e015-Q from smartphone storage

• shown as success (1,0), followed by reboot to system

• e and jumping point is shown for estimated 2 minutes

• does not end with a start of /e/ but with a reboot to TWRP

• same procedure, but using the upgrade file from SD-card

• ends the same way

Is it neccessary to do some additional steps inside /e/ before initiating the upgrade? (i.e. activating developer mode or something different?)
Unfortunately, I can’t get any further here.

Just checked lineageos.org for the LUX for more information concerning the upgrade:

• LUX XT1562 is supported
  • lineage recommends to initially enable “USB debugging” on the LUX, followed by “Settings”, then “System”, then “Developer Options”, then select “Root Access Options”, and finally “ADB Only”
  • well, ends like before, after installation is completed successfully, “reboot to system” makes me watch the jumping dot under e for quite a while, before another reboot brings me back to TWRP

@Manoj is it possible just to get a hint from a developer to be involved with the Lux?

Hi @Joerg unfortunately there is no ROM Maintainer for the Lux If possible can you try flashing the Lineage OS Q build for the device and check if it boots. If it does then the issue is specifically with the /e/ sources being pulled for the build. With that confirmation I can raise and ask the build team to check their sources and rebuild for the lux.

Thanks a lot @Manoj for your reply.
In the evening, I will try to flash a current LineageOS build to the Lux and write you, whether I was successful or not.

@Manoj
short summary: Also current version of LineageOS causes a boot loop to recovery after successful installation.

Here are the steps:

• download of lineage-17.1-20210328-recovery-lux.img
  • download of lineage-17.1-20210328-nightly-lux-signed.zip
  • enabling USB debugging on my Lux
  • connecting to my Laptop run by Linux Mint 20.1
  • restart the lux manually, VolumeDown+Power
  • positivly verifying the connection by: sudo fastboot devices
  • sudo fastboot flash recovery lineage-17.1-20210328-recovery-lux.img
  • reboot to recovery
  • Factory Reset, then Format data / factory reset and continue with the formatting process
  • “Apply Update”, then “Apply from ADB” to begin sideload
  • sudo adb sideload lineage-17.1-20210328-nightly-lux-signed.zip
  • after installation is shown to be completed
  • restart
  • blue circle moving from right to left for about 2 minutes
  • reboot to recovery with error message “can’t load Android system. Your data may be corrupt…”
  • factory data reset
  • reboot
  • reboot to recovery with error message “can’t load Android system. Your data may be corrupt…”
  • only shutdown and sd-card removed
  • restart
  • factory data reset
  • reboot with sd-card still removed
  • restart
  • obviously my LUX really does not want Android Q
  • reboot to bootloader
  • reinstallation of recovery twrp-3.5.1_9-0-lux.img
  • reboot to twrp
  • successfully restoring my backup of e015-N from sd-card
  • watching the jumping point under e for only a couple of seconds
  • here we go: /e/ 0.15-N works pretty fine on the Lux

Well, any ideas how to solve this?

1 Like

Hi @Joerg thanks for taking the time to flash the LOS ROM. This means the issue is also present in the sources we used to build. I am sharing this detailed post with the build team and will have them take a look at what the issue could be.
Will update on this thread so that it reaches more users as we are having boot loop issues on multiple devices with the latest Q build.

@Manoj, thanks for your initiative.
Unfortunately, I’m not a coder but only a user, following instructions. As I now know that my backup really works pretty reliable, I can offer to test a pre-version, if that helps. Just let me know.

I remember some problems with LineageOS 17.1 for LUX if your firmware is from ‘marshmallow’, the solution was you have to install the stock ROM (nougat) first, and then upgrade to custom ROM (Q).
I did this on my LUX and haven’t problems with LineageOS 17.1 and later with /e/OS 0.14q -> 0.15q -> 0.16q

Stock ROM for LUX you can find here :

@MRTN
thank you for your valuable advice. I followed the instructions given in your link. So right now I’m writing on my lux, using Android 10!

1 Like

Nice one :+1: , glad to help!

I did not see this post, when I installed yesterday /e/ OS Q 1.5 on my Motorola X Play - I bought it for 15 €, because I was pretty unhappy with the LG G3

My lux was on Nougat - I could not install twrp as described in the docu - twrp from here: Motorola Moto X Play, but I could boot it with “fastboot boot twrp.img” and install /e/ as it is described in the docu. Maybe this helps somebody

The X Play has much better battery life with the old battery than the LG G3 with the new.

and after 4 days of testing, I could easyly install the /e/ Os recovery - so it should not be a problem with updates