Multiroom audio

I use VLC to cast music from my phone. It works pretty well

1 Like

Yeah, I use VLC too, to cast through DLNA local music stored on my home server. I like this app. For online streaming services DLNA is not a solution however. For online services, a streamer that uses a proprietary protocol have to be used. Hifi brands like Triangle, Advance Paris, Yamaha, sell these kind of streamers for an average of 150 euros (they include a hifi quality Digital Audio Converter (DAC) to connect directly to an amp via analog like mini-jack or RCA). Unlike Chromecast, they work on /e/. I wish there were cheaper devices within the Chromecast Audio price range (no longer sold, btw) but I havenā€™t found any so far.

1 Like

Iā€™ve just replaced my chromecast audio with a raspberry pi running volumio. Can be controlled via web ui so no need for cast compatibility. They offer a plugin for Spotify but I havenā€™t tried it.

2 Likes

OK for local music streaming but for streaming online services this Do-It-Yourself solution is for IT nerds, because usually unstable. For this use case I would rather go for a more commercial solution like the streamers I mentioned above, that actually made partnerships with the streaming services that they support (spotify, ā€¦), which would make the solution more reliable. Not that their app is any better than Volumio. Most forked an open-source project (Linkplay, I believe) so they donā€™t differ much from one-another. Tell me how Spotify Connect works for you on Volumio if you manage to set it up.

It would be great to support nativly UPnP/DLNA as Chromecast from the notification bar

1 Like

I agree with you 100% ! I actually had this in mind lately.
I donā€™t know why Lineage does not implement it.
There is an app called AirMusic that appears to offer this functionality. It needs root access on the phone so it would be perfect for an open source ROM. E.foundation could implement it, I guess. I sent a email to @GaelDuval but itā€™s probably not in his priorities because no answer.

2 Likes

@Soundchippy my assumption was incorrect: installing Spotify Connect plugin in Volumio on Raspberry Pi is actually easy. Just tried it. A good solution for budget friendly Spotify streaming. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the advice. I wish to try Volumio also which sounds great. The point is to stream with an open and free protocol also.

I also installed AirMusic. Sounds really impressing, but all important functions need root access.
Have you got an answer from gael?

No, Gael hasnā€™t answered me about AirMusic.
Yes I would say the same.
Android 10+ phones have some playback capabilities but still a big limitation, that is, the music plays on the phone as well, not only on the device it is casting to. This is how the founder of AirMusic (friendly guy, btw) explained it to me:

Hello Cedric,

yes thatā€™s correct. In ā€œnative modeā€ the volume would continue on your phone and has to get muted by AirMusic each time.

ā€‹No matter what you do with the volume-rockers, AirMusic will receive the audio-stream at full volume.

In ā€œrootā€-mode instead, AirMusic receives the audio preprocessed end exclusively by the Android and the volume-rocker is directly applied to the audio-stream :slight_smile:

Best regards from Germany / Mit freundlichen GrĆ¼ĆŸen,

Martin Lehmann - AirAudio - stream your music! Support

Thanks!
So Iā€™m going to root my S8.

If youā€™re looking for multiroom, I would recommend PiCorePlayer with LMS. It also works great with the spotify app on /e/, with the added advantage of being able to stream directly to multiple rooms.
LMS has plugins for all music services, and you can control it using an APK on your phone. Streaming that way your phone is only the controller so you donā€™t have to worry about bluetooth or sync issuesā€¦

1 Like

Speeking about LMS, check this out https://polyvection.com/en/product/dac32/ the DAC32 of the german company Polyvection is a streamer that needs an LMS server to work.
In other words it is like having PiCorePlayer or Volumio or any type of Linux based multiroom audio distribution for Raspberry Pi, it is also open-source (Squeezelite-ESP32 community project), but with the DAC32 we have a plug-and-play solution that is ment to be for everyone, not just the tech savy dude. I look forward to try it.

1 Like

I found building your own (itā€™s really just clicking together the various parts) using PiCorePlayer, a Raspberry and a DAC of your choice fairly straight forward. Also for the non-tech-savy.
I am not a fan of Volumio, because itā€™s a paid subscription model and still doesnā€™t offer any form of synchronized multiroom.

2 Likes

Hello Jeroen2, I need heard about PiCorePlayer before. I am happy with volumio with a DLNA server and streaming paid service. I did pay the Volumio subscription for one year to try. I also bought a HiFiBerry DAC to connect to my HiFi amp and the sound is very great ! I will try PiCorePlayer anyway ā€¦

Picoreplayer/LogitechMediaServer works well in combination with the Polyvection DAC32. Itā€™s my current setup. In the future I might replace the Picoreplayer/RPi with the Polyvection CORE32 https://polyvection.com/product/core32/ finally we have gear that is both budget-friendly and market-ready/plug-an-play! (and ensures privacy)

1 Like

*ensures privacy if streaming local music library, not online music services of course, as already mentioned here. Actually the best way to listen to music privately is to listen to your CDs, as Darko Audio just said in his latest video 10 reasons why I still buy CDs

I like how HiFiBerry explains how to get ecosystem-free multiroom: https://www.hifiberry.com/applications/multiroom-audio/