Murena 2 users 3D print your own protective case

I have passed on the comments to the design team to check and revert.

Can you tell me when you get your ordered case if it fits well the murena two model? Where do you order your 3D print? Thank you

I am trying to order from

https://midlands3d.com/3d-printing-service-online-ordering/

This is in UK, if you are in EU the cost will go up due to export rules.

Ordering online is a little tricky if all specifications are not clear.

Response from the design team:

The case production hasn’t started yet. As shared in our last KickStarter communication, we had some difficulties with our supplier. However, our first supplier will finally be able to produce it for us, and we will share dates soon. In the meantime, please use the printable version before the final product is ready. We’ve made managed to print it successfully ourselves, and in our tests the cases are fitting the phone well. See some examples:

Some users have shared their experience with us and we’ve addressed some issues already. So we’ve made some changes since the first version. However, the internal dimensions haven’t changed. We only fixed one problem with the camera hole which wasn’t fitting the phone perfectly initially, and we also removed the covered volume, because we noticed some users were trying to print it with hard plastic. That version was not recommended for it, but still we had some users experimenting with PLA, which carried a risk of damage to the volume buttons. So we needed to remove it for safety.

So, among the updated STLS, you’ll find the improved versions that have been tailored for TPU and for PLA. The version with open tops need to be printed with PLA. That’s probably the best version as we tested it and it worked just fine, as shown in the images above.

Note: don’t use TPU with that version or the case will be loose and will slip from the phone. Use TPU only if you’re printing the version with bridges over the toggles and button openings.

Response from the design team:

We noticed that you’re using the first STL file with covered volume buttons. Probably, the dimension differences you mentioned are because the protection around the volume buttons created some extra millimeters on the sides. That is not the case anymore because we’ve removed that feature from the case (please, refer to the comment above, we’ve made some improvements and removed it for safety reasons).

Since learned that leaving open tops yields better results, we recommend that you print the PLA version with open tops for now. That should give your phone enough protection. Before sending it out for printing, just please download and use the updated file from the initial post again. Thanks in advance.

Hi, i am lost :woozy_face:
It would be kind of you to give me the last, ultimate stl file so i’ll could buy a 3d tpu print ?
I’ m very lost.
Thank you,
Regards.

In the first post of this topic …

(underlining by me)

… would then be the currently last ultimate.

Cool ! Thank a lot !
Have a good weekend :sun_with_face:

Yeah, great. Your underline, especially. Now, check this:
it has been established the original model / blender project was intended for production. So, talking about production in January’2024 and distribution to backers in Feb’24 was … (don’t want to use bad language here). The same applies to the later date (in March, if I remember correctly). It was (and honestly, probably still is!) under development and not exactly ready for production, or surprises could happen when it is found the case is of the wrong size to be useful. Now, I shall go ahead and verify the internal dimensions of the original and the latest version. We’ll see if those are the same. Also, interestingly enough, the original links were removed (probably to avoid confusion). So, it would be good to have access to a repository with commits and their history so that we could track the development. You see: the community could help, but must be kept in the loop and not in the dark - as seems to be the case currently.

@LittleTurtle These seem to be external dimmensions of the case. The phone itself is 72.9 x 159.2 x 7.85 [mm]. I measured it with a caliper (e = 0.05mm).

It looks like these are too far off the actual phone’s dimensions. Deltas: +0.5 x +0.4 x 0 [mm]. So, only thickness is OK.

I went ahead and checked dimensions in UltiMaker CURA (v5.6.0):

For the OLD model (M2_case__printable_COMMUNITY__covered_volume.stl)
X:

Y:

Z:

For the NEW model (1_-_M2_case_-_protected_opening_-_BEZEL.stl)
X:

Y:

Z:

So, yes, the internal dimensions are the same, but they are 0.5 / 0.4 mm larger than the dimensions of the phone. The question is: could this be too much free play (at least for the TPU)?
I will acquire the case my friend printed (which turned out to be too large) to assess the situation. It will take a few days as the case has to be shipped from another city here, in POLSKA.
I shall keep you all posted.

We are now at the end of March any REAL news of when Murena will be shipping the manufacturer’s REAL case for Murena 2 ?

Will update when we get some dates from the supplier.

Thank you for the response. From the notes on the page, it seemed TPU was the preferred choice.

If sending the PLA to online printers probably the question of dimensions still remains. I don’t have 3D printer, and don’t know if these files automatically specify the correct dimensions or people using the printer will have to make adjustments. Can you specify that for the PLA.

Best is if Murena could send those cases as soon as possible, without them I am sure some customers don’t use the phones because of the risk of damage to the lenses, buttons etc.

Very much correct! It has been lying unused since I got it in January. So, 3 months. I asked my friend to print the case, but so far it failed twice (once the case warped when it finished printing and the second attempt resulted in a case that was too loose (as reported by another friend who got the M2 from the two-pack I got). I have not seen it yet but will try to obtain that case to verify.
It was supposed to be a nice change from a nasty Xiaomi product (believed to be spying on everything), but the expectations are yet to materialize. Meanwhile, patience is running out. Pity.

Hello,

I researched for a long time and found the Motorola Moto G54. It has almost the same dimensions as the Murena Two. (The mass of Murena Two in brackets). 161.56 (159.7) x 73.82 (73.3) x 7.99 (7.8). I bought the Baifu Gentle leather case from Amazon. However, the switches at the top left and right are then covered. On the right side I used a carpet knife to cut a 4cm piece out of the cover to expose the switches. On the back I cut out 1cm horizontally and 0.5cm vertically with a chisel. I sealed the cut surfaces with glue. I can live with it.

This may also work with a normal phone case.

The glass protection for the Moto G54 fits very well.

(Translated from German to English with Google Translate :wink: )

1 Like

If that G54 is 0.8 mm (X) and 0.5 mm (Y) larger than M2 - I would think the case is even larger than that. So: how can M2 not simply fall out of the G54’s case?

Hello everyone, reading your messages, I’m pretty desperate to get into 3D printing the Murena 2. Isn’t there a protective shell on the market that would fit the Murena 2’s dimensions? What are the results of your various tests? My phone has also been sleeping in its packaging for over four months!

Reportedly, the case for Xiaomi 12 Lite was a semi-fit. But when I tried it, I quickly realized it was such a bad fit, I returned the case back to the seller.

The difference is only 1,86mm and 0,52mm. Only half on each side. I’ve been using it for over two months. It doesn’t fall out either. Watch Photo.