Murena One: Share your feedback

Wait a few days as we have users from USA on this forum who will may help you…

Please search the forum

Open a new topic with USA in the tittle

1 Like

I saw your mail and have forwarded it to the team. You should get a response today during EU office hours.

I joined the waiting list and purchased the new Murena One, just got it this week.

Can’t get it to work on my network in the USA ( AT&T ). I’ve got “emergency calls only” on the display and it won’t seem to register on their network. I’ve worked with their customer support both in a physical store and on the phone. The store people were pretty useless. They kind of shrugged and said “well it’s not an AT&T phone so we can’t really do much to help you”.
online people a bit more helpful, but can’t get it to work.
On their side, it shows up on their system as “Unknown Device” they told me today.

I’ve been using my ancient Samsung Galaxy S5 ( on my 3rd battery now ) and was holding out for the Murena phone as a replacement, but sadly it doesn’t seem to be going to work out.

Interested if any USA folks see this who have the phone and have had success with AT&T

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

1 Like

I’m surprised AT&T Customer Service is even trying to help you at all, considering AT&T uses this whitelist of devices that are authorized on their network, and Murena One isn’t on it (and apparently isn’t a rebranded version of anything on the list, either):

PDF https://www.att.com/idpassets/images/support/pdf/Devices-Working-on-ATT-Network.pdf

Have you checked your device with T-mobile’s IMEI checker?

@Taurus , thanks for the tip, I just checked on TMobile and they say it is compatible.
Interestingly, they also identify it as follows when I plug in the IMEI
Hi-Power (Shenzhen) Technology Co Limited HiKING H6

3 Likes

And with different cables?

Hi tsleahy,

I had an issue with my new Murena One with similar issues while using Mint Mobile (MVNO using T-Mobile’s network.) My phone worked briefly on their network and then stopped.
I resolved the issue by doing a factory reset located in Settings/System/Advanced/Reset Options → choose Erase all data (factory reset.) It was a bummer because I’d already migrated all of my apps, OTP authenticator, etc BUT I was thrilled that it started working and has been working properly for me for 4 days.

This is pure speculation but I suspect I corrupted the OS by adding an SD card from my old phone, reformatting it, and then partially transferring 50 GB of data to it but pulled the cable mid-transfer because I was in a hurry and needed to get to an appointment.

Hopefully this is a viable solution for you and resolves the problem by doing a factory reset.

Cheers,
Shoeless Jo

I love /e/OS! I appreciate the hard work they’ve put into making the Murena One. The camera, flashlight, speakers, & mic are superior to my Teracube 2e 2020 model. The LCD colors are vibrant and I love the Advanced Privacy as part of /e/OS. I initially came from the iPhone arena.

The only problem I’ve encountered is the USB-C seems to lose data packets when playing audio through an adapter. I haven’t had time to try another adapter but the same adapter worked fine with my Teracube 2e that natively ran /e/OS that I purchased in 2021. I’ll follow up with helpdesk to see if this is isolated only to me or if others have had this issue.

I’m unsure of the thing on the top of the phone that looks like an IR Blaster. Maybe it is an IR Blaster?

Manoj and others at /e/, please keep on fighting for freedom of choice, autonomy, data privacy & security! We appreciate your hard work and dedication!

Best wishes,
Shoeless Jo

@tsleahy , unfortunately my phone just lost it’s cellular connection and I couldn’t restore the cellular connection. Hopefully I caught you in time before doing a factory reset.

I’ll need to check with /e/ tech support to see if they can find any logs as to why it worked for 4 days and then just stopped and said “emergency calls only” with the Mobile Network saying T-mobile but the Advanced “Choose Network” section it says “unknown.” :frowning_face:

Definitely bummed. I know this will be an great phone once I get the cellular problems worked out.

Best wishes,

Hi Everyone,

I received the Murena One last week and the only problem i have, it doesn’t work for a phone call if I try to use a headset with adaptor from USB-C to jack 3.5mm (TRRS).

Music, sound in video or on the web are working perfectly in the headset and with a good sound quality.

However, with my headset that has a mic integrated into it, i cannot hear any phone call and people cannot hear me.
If i put the phone on speaker and shut the speaker off, then i hear myself in the headset with echo.

Hope you can find a solution for this major problem.

Thank you!

1 Like

I was trying out the settings on my new phone and managed to turn off the dots on my pattern lock screen. Whoever thought that was a good idea?

Anyway, not the end of the world, I can do a factory reset right?

I follow the instructions to reboot into recovery mode, and hit factory reset.

Formatting /system...
E: Failed to open /dev/block/dm-0: No such file or directory
System wipe failed

Uhh… Let’s try that again?

Formatting /system...
System wipe complete.

All right… Reboot and let’s see what happened:

dm-verify corruption

Your device is corrupt.
It can't be trusted and may not work properly.
Press power button to continue.
Or, device will power off in 5s

It keeps boot looping to the murena screen or charging picture with this text behind it, and fastboot hangs too.

Ok… So all the advice I can find suggest using adb to fix it. Back into recovery mode I enable ADB:

Enabled ADB.

And try to connect from linux:

$ adb devices
List of devices attached

So it won’t boot, it won’t connect to ADB, and I can’t find anything to fix it in recovery…

Do I send this back to you guys for a replacement or is there a way to fix this from here?

Edit: It keeps appearing and dissapearing from adb devices, I’ll try spamming it with commands

Edit2: I can adb shell ls if I get it in the window while it’s connected. adb shell twrp wipe data from the faq gives me /system/bin/sh: twrp: inaccessible or not found

Pl send a mail to helpdesk@e.email and explain what happened. The team will help with the issue.

Thanks, I’ll do that

Interesting.
Up until now I’ve seen factory resets in the Android world wiping or formatting the data and cache partitions, never the system partition where I would assume the OS to be.

@Manoj: Does the Murena One use partitions differently compared to other Android phones, so that the OS is not in system? There’s currently no install guide for the Murena One at https://doc.e.foundation/devices.

Related to my question above regarding partition usage of the Murena One, this might be a logical outcome of wiping the system partition (if partition usage is roughly the same as on many other Android phones) … or not (if partition usage on the Murena One is special).

@Manoj: This doc page would only apply to phones which have the alternative TWRP recovery installed.
Since the Murena One isn’t listed at twrp.me and /e/OS has its own recovery for a while now, I think this doc page is outdated, or it needs clarification if there are still /e/OS devices using TWRP as their default recovery.

The Murena One installation guide is being created. Will be publishing it ASAP.

2 Likes

Thank you for this reply @Manoj, some of the report by @JnvSor seems consistent with a Super partition device. Would it be possible to confirm or rule out that possibility, please.

1 Like

Checked with the team and the response is that the Murena one uses the partitions like every other android device, wiping the system partition on a locked bootloader will cause a failure and the above error message.
The system can be restored by using the spflashtool. But the Murena One build has as yet not been released through the documentation as mentioned above. Also, incorrect usage of the spflashtool can permanently brick the device. The best option is to write to the helpdesk@e.email and, based on the team’s instructions, send the device back to us. The team will arrange for the device to be reinstalled.

2 Likes

Hello,
I have exactly the same problem, reported to helpdesk. I have not yet had any solution to this problem.
I have been unable to find a solution to this problem, which is very problematic when using a phone without being exposed to the airwaves all day long;
I hope you will find a solution quickly.

What does this mean? What “airwaves” and how does using the phone without a headset “expose” you to them?

Hi all -

If like me, you’re in the United States, let me save you some time by saying I think a T-Mobile-based carrier is your best bet for your new Murena One. RedPocket Mobile is my vendor of choice.

I want to confirm I tried the Murena One on the AT&T network via RedPocket Mobile, and…I could send and receive texts but not make voice calls nor receive voice calls. Some of you had echoed similar issues above. The benefit of RedPocket, beyond being one of the very cheapest mobile providers in the US, is that they have relationships with not one, but each of the three major US cellular carriers (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile). It was them who directed me toward T-Mobile.

So instead of the AT&T SIM I have in hand, they’re sending me a T-Mobile network SIM, and they say my phone should work on T-Mobile’s network. A quick check of the T-Mobile bring-your-own-phone website (https://www.t-mobile.com/resources/bring-your-own-phone) confirms after punching in my IMEI that, “Your device is compatible with the T‑Mobile network and can take advantage of our most powerful signal, Extended Range LTE.” So that’s promising; none of the AT&T-based carriers gave such affirmation (nor Verizon, for that matter).

I’ll work to remember to check in back here in a couple days when I have my SIM in hand to verify my anticipated (and now promised via T-Mobile) success.

Beyond that, I’ve already used the other functionality a bunch, this is a truly great phone, and I’m so, so pleased to be one of the first testers of the phone. I’m just following your work from afar here in the US, but /e/os and Murena seem to be a group of folks with purpose, heart, and maybe most importantly, good heads on their shoulders. I think you all are on the right track for both improving privacy, and opening up a new and promising pathway to create alternatives to the big two mobile OS heavyweights - something even Microsoft couldn’t achieve. Cheers, all, and thanks!!

1 Like