My First Install

Okay @gbar, to install ADB & Fastboot on Ubuntu systems is not difficult, because as the packages are available with the default Ubuntu repositories. To install both the ADB & Fastboot, execute the following command from the terminal:

$ sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot

Once the USB-Debugging has been enabled, connect your Android device to system using the USB-cable.

Now open the terminal and execute the following command:

$ adb devices OR sudo fastboot devices

This command should display your device unique ID number.

Upon the command execution you will get a pop-up on your Android device to allow USB-Debugging, press OK to enable the debugging.

Now we’re going to flash TWRP with the following command (where “twrp-3.3.1-0-hlte.img” is the name of TWRP file you’ve downloaded => Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE (N9005/P) - “hlte”):

sudo fastboot flash twrp-3.3.1-0-hlte.img

Flashing process will take few seconds. After installation is completed disconnect your device from PC and hold “Power” button to exit fastboot mode.

Now you’ve TWRP Custom Recovery installed on your device. You can proceed with Custom ROM installation.

No sudo needed. fastboot and adb must / will run as normal user.

@gbar, a good idea is to execute commands as root or sudoer.

I have learned never use root (sudo) for building or flashing roms. And as far as you are able to do it as normal user, you should do.

and if you have a look on the tons of HowTo’s flashing a rom, you will see no sudo command (on most tutorials)

@harvey186, a few months ago I had no idea about flashing an Android Custom ROM. It gives me pleasure to deal with this topic. Inevitably I have read many experience reports and instructions and then tried out.

In the meantime I flashed four different (hated by you) Samsung and two LG devices on LOS, LineageOS-for-mircoG and /e/ OS. I didn’t follow the flash instructions of LineageOS and /e/ (both are the same like an egg).

Heimdall and also Linux have left quite fast behind. I’m an old Windows(ianer). Samsung’s ODIN has always led me to install TWRP on a Windows PC.

With LG I learned how to use ADB and Fastboot - and also used them successfully with Samsung devices, e.g. to delete pre-installed /e/ apps on unrooted devices.

I appreciate the tips of other users. But I learn the most when I do it myself. At the moment I get along well and like to share my experiences. It is in the nature of things that other users have made different experiences.

It’s always the best solution, learning be doing. That’s what I have teaching my students :wink:
I’m cooking and flashing roms since Android froyo. So you can trust me a little bit :slight_smile:

1 Like

Trust is the elixir of life. It’s hard to gain trust in normal analog life; it’s so much harder on the internet. But to have a different opinion is not the same as - to have no trust. ;o)

Hi Archie,

thanks for the further assistance but…
ThinkPad-X200:~$ sudo fastboot flash twrp-3.3.1-0-0-hlte.img
< waiting for device >

previously
entering adb would indeed show the device as connected and details so i don’t think it’s the cable used.

Try without sudo.
And your device is really in bootloader modus NOT in recovery ?

Okay, USB cable seems fine.

Now we trust (a little bit … ;o) @harvey186 to follow his advice starting with > download mode:

ADB command: adb reboot download

Note Samsung’s download mode on device:
Device is switched off. Then hold down the Power, Home and Volume (-) buttons.

Note: Recovery mode: adb reboot recovery [Power, Home and Volume (+) buttons]

The command is ‘adb reboot recovery’

You can also try ‘adb boot twrp-3.3.1-0-0-hlte.img’

That will start twrp without installing and you can flash the e.zip
But after reboot TWRP is gone

ok, give me a few minutes. i think i’m getting the order mixed up, it’s not now recognising the device

Switch phone off
connect
adb devices
start
Note Samsung’s download mode on device:
Device is switched off. Then hold down the Power, Home and Volume (-) buttons.

ok, phone switched off. plug in
adb devices - nada
Switch phone on
adb devices - brings up phone information
adb reboot recovery
Phone reboots into recovery mode, a different screen now!

Yes, two different commands, two different screen displays:

adb reboot download [Samsung Download-Mode]
adb reboot recovery [Samsung Recovery-Mode]

with 9 options
I’m guessing i
‘reboot to bootloader’
phone restarts to same screen again, hmm let stry
‘apply update from adb’
ok
now from terminal
adb devices and phone id comes up with ‘sideload’
sudo fastboot flash twrp-3.3.1-0-hlte.img

nothing happens so ctrl-c
phone suggests "Now send the package you want to apply to the device with "adb sideload "
screen on phone changed
from computer
Total xfer: 0.02x
phone rebooted by itself into android
bugger

Do you have a a/b device ? Or why trying the site load twrp ?

On a only devices you should flash twrp direct.

1. Start device in bootloader
  2. Run on pc ‘fastboot flash recovery twrp:blahblah.img’
  3. Reboot device in recovery
  4. Copy e.zip to the device via pc file manager
  5. Install e.zip via twrp
  6. Reboot system
  7. Be happy

cause i’m a tube who doesn’t know what he’s doing! i’ll try running through it all again and try a different option next time, thanks for your collected patience

start device in bootloader mode (On, home +vol down)
Screen shows android man and ‘Downloading… do not turn of target’
on computer
adb devices - nothing.
reboot phone as per normal , android
phone starts
computer - adb devices
listed as connected on computer
adb reboot recovery
as before, it reboots into this screen, pic hopefully attached

top line you can’t read says ‘reboot system now’
What the correct option?

In bootloader mode no adb us working.