Need Google Play Services for bank app

I have Android 10 and it says /e/OS 1.5-20221031230909 but I’m not sure about Q or DEV… (sorry I’m not very familiar with Androids or with /e/OS)

Check the reply of @AnotherElk

[HOWTO] Give complete /e/OS version info easily for support, answers, comparison etc

1 Like

My bad (please bear with me while I get my etiquette up to scratch), but you are right, I have the /e/OS Q (Android10) DEV version: 1.5-q-20221031230909-dev-FP3

1 Like

Currently the /e/OS dev release channel prior to Android 12 (S) has no chance to pass Google SafetyNet by default, which is a requirement with many banking Apps.
Adding this to the /e/OS dev builds (and breaking a different feature in exchange) prior to Android 12 (S) is currently in discussion here … and you can vote …

1 Like

there’s no entry yet at microg issue tracker for “com.triodos.bankinguk”.

You could observe adb logcat (see howto) output while you interact and try to either take the photo or when sending it off. It will - in dozens of lines and sometimes rather convoluted - tell you what exactly it is failing on. This would be the basis of a report to microg if it is at issue.

Over time there is a chance it is addressed while implementing parts of play services.

Maybe a stable version of /e/ could work with your bank app, as it pass safetynet detection.
If not, or if you choose to stay with dev, “universal safetynet fix” module of the “magisk” app should do the trick. [Howto] install magisk and hide that OS have been modified

I would advise the same, also because v1.5 for Q on FP3 is the last release and so you will have to upgrade to R anyway if you want to keep receiving future updates.

I run LienageOS for MicroG, and I get the same response. I just logged into my online banking account via a web browser and sent the following message:

Subject: Mobile app

I am trying to set up the mobile app on the Android phone, which runs
the LineageOS for microG operating system[1] - a privacy-respecting
phone custom ROM providing “The full Android experience without
Google Apps.”

When I reach the point where the app wants to record a video of my
face, the video screen appears briefly, then I see a screen saying
“Please install Google Play Services to continue”, and I am unable to
progress any further. The phone OS does not include Google Play
Services, and they cannot be installed.

Please let me know how I can use the app *without Google Play
Services.

Thanks very much

If I receive any reply, I will post it here

2 Likes

is really safetynet at fault? I’m not convinced. If it doesn’t say so in the error message, only logcat will give more insight.

@jssze could you document the exact error message wording when the upload fails? and is the adb logcat something you could do?

Without an account + verification code by the bank it’s not possible to reach the video upload to debug myself

It isn’t SafetyNet. I’ve tried again on another device running Lineage for microG on which SafetyNet passes. I get exactly the same result.

It could be that they detect a custom ROM is running, and the stuff about Google Play Services is just the message they use. Or they are using a GPS API which microG doesn’t implement.

I’m not going to get into debugging this just yet. I’ll wait for the response from the bank. In the meantime I can login to internet banking using my phone’s browser (which I prefer to do anyway)

When i complain to the “Credit Agricole” that i have to root my device to be abble to run their app “Ma Banque” and ask them to correct that bug, they aswer that their app cannot run on a rooted device, (LoL).

They advise me a app (witch give interresting informations) to diag the different system settings : “RootBeer Sample” available in “AuroraStore”

@piero while this applies to CA, it can be detrimental pointing to Safetynet whenever a banking App has difficulties. A switch from dev to stable build could involve a userdata reset - unpleasant. Without tangible result in case of the tridos uk bank app. The issue really needs a bit of debug info to continue

1 Like

I received this reply

The Mobile Secure Key is not compatible with MicroG libraries; Google Play services are a pre-requisite for using the Mobile Secure Key.

It looks like it is still possible to use the app if you have a DigiPass. It’s not clear whether you wouldneed to use the DigiPass each time you want to use the app, or whether it’s only the first time

I got the same response from them. I do have (and use) the DigiPass but from what I understand they’re planning to phase it out, hence the need for Mobile Secure Key (or just telephone banking…), though they did say that they won’t “leave you without a way to access your accounts.” so perhaps they won’t phase out the DigiPass just yet.

Hmm I guess it’s ultimately up to me to decide whether I want to upgrade to R (which is to Android 11?) which may possibly solve the issue, but could be a lot of trouble?

I’ll try and see if I can get a log from my phone to submit the issue…

Hmm seems like a tough choice, one does wish Google would let up on its hegemony…

• Take a backup of your personal data.
  • The upgrade itself is not that difficult if you use the “easy-installer”.
  • After that, you can reinstall your apps and restore your personal data.

The advantage of the ‘stable channel’ is that you will probably be offered the next upgrade OTA.

1 Like

Hi sorry could you include the link to where I can report this issue? I’ve got the logcat for the error (though I don’t know if microg can do anything about it since it’s the app that requires Google Play Services and isn’t compatible with microg?), but not quite sure where I’m supposed to post it to.
Also, could you advise if I can remove my email addresses from the logcat file (I don’t quite know what’s going on in that file but I can see from looking through it that the email addresses linked to accounts on my phone appears in there)?

Report here Issues · microg/GmsCore · GitHub

Sure, search a part of your email and phone number and give them arbitrary values.

You can post to any pastebin and someone will isolate the exception so no need to report with the full logcat

saw your filed issue at [com.triodos.bankinguk] Activating Mobile Secure Key fails · Issue #1881 · microg/GmsCore · GitHub and looked through the 2 log files.

It’s due to not implemented parts of the GMS Vision API (it only does barcodes, not QR or Face) - see github

3229  3255 D ChimeraServiceProvider: query: content://com.google.android.gms.chimera/api_force_staging/com.google.android.gms.vision.ocr?requestStartTime=414613693
28090 31031 I iodos.bankingu: The ClassLoaderContext is a special shared library.
28090 31031 W GmsDynamiteLoaderImpl: No such module known: com.google.android.gms.vision.ocr
28090 31031 D GmsDynamiteLoaderImpl: unimplemented Method: getModuleVersion for com.google.android.gms.vision.ocr
28090 31034 W GmsDynamiteLoaderImpl: No such module known: com.google.android.gms.vision.face
28090 31034 D GmsDynamiteLoaderImpl: unimplemented Method: getModuleVersion for com.google.android.gms.vision.face

(btw: theres a segfault on the browser in there right at the start, that’s funny. Probably a reason to update /e/ itself)

Here is another person who cannot activate the Triodos bank App.
When the app will make a photo, to check my identity, i get the error with Google services too.

And unfortunately it won’t be fixed: see my post above with a response from Triodos support