Newbie questions on intermediate tech level

Hi everyone,

I just discovered /e/. I have an S9+ currently with lineageOS w/ microg - however that is not getting any updates anymore. I had a similar experience, when Cyanogenmod stopped, where I was stuck for a Long time with an outdated OS. I think the foundation Approach is definitely an improvement and hopefully leads to Long Standing Support of devices.

I also like the apporach the Project took to wrap the Topics so that not only People who Change their ROM like their underwear (could be a Statement about frequency of either) can understand and follow.

At the same time, that Approach, the non-tech-savy-wrapper, means that if you do have some more Background, some questions are just not adressed. And that’s what I’m trying to find out here. Essentially I have used Cyanogenmod and Lineage for microg for a Long time, so have installed roms every now and then. I do not develop myself. So that’s why I called myself ‘intermediate tech level’.

• Is there a policy about Support for devices? The S9+ is currently supported. What are the chances it will be supported in, say, three years? If the current available download build is on ‘nightly’, does that mean, it is not offically supported yet?

• There’s an /e/ email account involved. Is that needed? I do have an existing email account, I do not want to handle any additional ones. Or does everything work without the /e/ email?

• App store: I assume using FDroid and Aurora will not pose any issues?

• One ‘app’ that I did find essentialy using lineage microg was the ‘magisk’ (formally not an app, i guess). I Need this to make my Banking app work. Is /e/ compatible with magisk? Or does it hide superuser rights by itself already?

• DNS: The Default android DNS is Google. What do you use?

• Hardware Support: At this Point of course, it turns into a device specific question. What does work? Or more to the Point: What does not work? Fingerprint sensor? NFC? …

• Launcher can be replaced?

• Why do I Need to Register to install? Is this optional/recommended? Or is it required? Are there alternatives?

Many of These questions I could answer, by installing it. However, I do have just this one phone and heavily depend on it, so I like to get These questions out of the way, before actually going for it…

Thank you for any answers.

Best,
YeOldHinnerk

1 Like

Hi @YeOldHinnerk let me respond to the queries raised

We have a list of supported devices here. Devices on this list are officially supported through nightly OTA builds. 3 years down the line if users are still downloading the ROM yes we will support it.

It is not necessary to have an /e/ ID but if you have one the phone can sync your data with /e/ and make the data storage and retrieval smooth

You are free to choose which ever store you want. It is your decision which app you want on your phone.

You can flash magisk after the ROM installation. Though i have not personally used it… you can check here on the forum for Magisk related posts. We use MicroG so please check if your banking app works with it before using /e/ . A number of banking apps need Google play to work

You can set you own DNS through the settings in /e/ Settings >> Network & Internet >> DNS

Again there are users who have used NFC with /e/ .

Yes you can install a launcher of your choice in /e/

If you mean during setup - that is the entering of the /e/ ID to ease the use with /e/ services like mail and online storage. There is a 5 GB free storage that comes with an /e/ ID.
If this is your main driver check on the key apps you use before trying /e/ out.
I have /e/ on my main phone for the past one year (MiA1 tissot) without any issues but then i do not use any banking apps on my phone.

Thank you for the fast response.

The banking app does not work with microg alone, you need to hide the su rights. That’s what Magisk does (and other stuff). So I will check it out, that is indeed crucial.

My take on /e/ ID is, that is fully optional. If you choose not to use it, you will not have cloud storage and backup - but that is it? I do not use that now and won’t miss it :wink:

Best,
YeOldHinnerk

Could be that this is helpfull for you

Dear Harvey,
Indeed It is. I also Found IT alter today… But thank you for the Hint.
Yeoldhinnerk

Three different banking apps (two-factor authentication) works on my /e/ phone with e-0.7-n-Build (Nougat). The device is not rooted.

One additional question: I looked at the changelog of the nightly of my device. I can see some import from lineage. Now, Lineage does have a ROM for the S9+, but it is not receiving any updates, not even security updates (last change was may 2019). Does this imply that /e/ will also not have those secutiry updates for my device, or are they brought in on a different track?

As long as security leaks are made available by Android, the developers will include them in their further developments. Everything else doesn’t make sense, does it?

An example: On a Samsung device of mine an unofficial LineageOS 14.1 (Nougat) is working - with security updates for 2019-07-05

Sorry, I don’t get it yet from your answer. The base of /e/ is coming from where? A recent lineage snapshot that it then adopted? Or from some official Android, which does contain the security updates?

Or to rephrase it so that it turns into a clear yes/no question:
If the latest lineage version for my device is of May, will the latest /e/ version for my device contain security updates for Android released after May?

Alternatively, you can try the LineageOS’s native root Addon SU + iSu to hide it.

Sorry, I am still confused. And this thread is definitely not about LineageOS on my phone.

Again, pleas yes or no answer: If LineageOS stops supporting and no further security updates are published, will /e/ have recent security updates nonetheless?

Best,
YeOldHinnerk

Please check the response to the query on security patches and unsupported phone on our FAQ. You have to scroll right down …FAQ is still WIP

Thank you, usefull link.

For anyone else coming here: Yes.