Newset 0.9 build update for Samung Galaxy S6 - is it safe now?

Thank you once more for the detailed information! :slight_smile:

From what you write, given my very limited understanding of the matter, the pros and cons seem to somewhat balance each other.
And I was not able to test the ex-official Nougat build anyway, as I could not get past the failed signature verification when trying to install it.

I as well am a rather minimalist user, so if that is fine for you, I guess it is fine for me as well! :slight_smile:

There are new builds for zerofltexx/zeroltexx. Take a look at this repo. https://github.com/Exynos7420

Thank you, @nsherbina1999, for sharing. I had a look at it, but it’s all Greek to me.
Could you point to something in there that might be of use to me?

It is sources for the newest builds of LineageOS 17.1, which can be useful for /e/ devs. Hope they will see it.

1 Like

@itsclarence, perhaps the repo can be helpful in any future unofficial update. Thanks to @nsherbina1999 for this!

2 Likes

Who is willing to test a new build for the zerofltexx?
Be safe and backup first.

4 Likes

:laughing: Probably me :laughing:

It may take me a few days but I’ll do it and let you know how it goes. Thanks for doing the work!

EDIT UPDATE #1: Days turned into hours as I channeled my inner @SuzieQ :laughing: Downloaded the OS zip without incident and transferred it to internal device storage via USB. Set the device to restart in recovery (Settings/Developer Options/Advanced Restart) which it then did :slight_smile: From there I used TWRP to backup all partitions (except cache) and then installed the 0.15 UNOFFICIAL /e/OS Q build provided by @itsclarence without incident.

On first boot WiFi and SIM Card were immediately recognized- no device error messages. SELinux still is disabled (as expected), MicroG self-check was good and Android platform patches are up to date! Going to walk around with the new build for a few days and report back in. Thanks again @itsclarence :clap: and cheers! :beers:

Now we need to figure out the process of getting him private keys to sign these builds so that SELinux can be enabled- Anyone have any insight on that? :thinking:

2 Likes

Great! I have also already installed it. :slight_smile:

I will not be able to give an as sophisticated test report, as I am not competent enough.
But so far everything works fine, no incidents yet.

Camera seems to work better than before, not as many hang-ups.
Delete pop-up windows in the menu can be seen again (in the previous build CANCEL and DELETE were pickable, but not visible).

This does still show up:

Bildschirmfoto vom 2021-01-17 09-43-38

Thnx for the feedback @Forumsnutzer and @mcmd.
I’m indeed struggling with the signed key’s. I did try something different, but without any success obviously. I’ll keep on trying…

Good morning,

@itsclarence, thank you for caring!
This morning I noticed that the Telefon app does not work properly.
My outgoing phone calls do reach their target, but while ringing I cannot hang up.
What is worse, I cannot even answer incoming phone calls.
When I call one of my contacts, immediately an error message shows up, saying

“Telephone was repeatedly terminated.”

I need to return to the previous build, unfortunately!

This is a known issue. The easy workaround is t install the ‘Simple Dialer’ app from Apps or F-Droid, and set it as the default phone app.

No need to go back to an earlier build :slight_smile:

1 Like

You could try an idea of @piero. You could try the « simple dialer » app on the s6 instead of default dialer

Just out of curiousity @itsclarence, would it be possible to replace the default Android dialer with Simple Dialer at the build level for this device class?

Also, if anyone’s wondering, the /e/ Application Apps is now working for me in this build- I downloaded a nice game of Checkers to test it!

I’ll look into it. I’ve never done this before, so I suppose it’s a good moment to sort this out…

Alright, thank you, I’m back to the new build. :slight_smile:

@itsclarence A couple of days ago I found a post on XDA Forums from someone who had made a CUSTOM /e/ build, with F-Droid included. I noticed it because I have been thinking of such a custom build for myself. The principle for including Simple Dialer (or any other app) will be the same. I’ll go and try to find the post again and get back to you

2 Likes

I’ve done a bit of digging on this, and it would certainly be possible to do that. Unfortunately, it would take me quite a lot of time to work out exactly how to do it. So I think it will be easier (and quicker) to install it from Apps (or F-droid, or Aurora Store). Particularly as the bug with the built-in phone app is due to be fixed in the v0.16-q release :slight_smile: @itsclarence may think differently though!

1 Like

@petefoth thanks for digging! It certainly is easy to replace the dialer app with Simple Dialer post-install, no doubt. I was just thinking in terms of “out of box” functionality LOL :beers:

I agree with @petefoth…but nevertheless, I’m curious to work this out, but not immediately…:beers:

Can you try to use camera? Is it buggy or not? I’ve heard about flash delay and weird focusing (probably, PDAF isn’t working for those builds). As I know, no one is fixed this, only Exhigh in his PE+, but he doesn’t have any sources.