Nokia 7 Plus eOS GSI no-incall audio

Hello,

I like to enroll eOS on my Nokia 7 plus (as I’m becoming a big fan of all the effort and work that you guys do). I do know it is an unsupported device. As such I enrolled the latest (i.e.: March) GSI image (i.e: system-arm64-ab.img.xz) onto my device. I had a couple of issues, which I was able to solve while tweaking “Phh Treble Settings”. The first issue solved was “no notification audio alarm”, this was solved by enabling the “use alternate audio policy” setting within “Phh Treble Settings” followed by a device reboot. The second issue solved were Bluetooth related, which was solved by enabling the “Force-disable A2DP offload” setting within “Phh Treble Settings”.

There is, however, a third well-known issue that I’m not able to solve whatever I do try and that is that there’s no in-call audio (i.e.: I cannot hear the other person in the call and vice-versa, I cannot hear the ringtone while calling). But, when I flash the pphusson his vanilla system image (https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/releases/tag/v313) then the third issue (no in-call audio) is also solved. And I also noticed a few more couple of Phh Treble Settings

The fact that the issue is solved with phhusson’s image, the fact that phhusson’s image has a few more Phh Treble Settings make me conclude - and correct me if I’m wrong - that the eOS GSI system image is missing Qualcomm SoC compatibility binaries?

Best regards,
Jonkersa

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

The fact that the issue is solved with phhusson’s image, the fact that phhusson’s image has a few more Phh Treble Settings make me conclude - and correct me if I’m wrong - that the eOS GSI system image is missing Qualcomm SoC compatibility binaries? Pinterest gif downloader

Have any of you manager to install GSI on top of Nokia 7 Plus stock rom and got device to reboot?

Only way I have succees is first installing unoffifial lineage 19.0:

And doing that reguires using partition resizer tool from that dev. After that unifficial Lineage OS 19.0 flashed, I can flash ie. Lineage OS 19.1 based GSI on top of that and everything seems to work (haven’t test sim inserted). Obviously in this case you got to use some other GSI than /e/ OS until /e/ OS GSI is based at least Android S.

But since it seems you have managed to install GSI just that no-incall audio in your case like title says, so…

Did you flash GSI similar way I did, or have you found a way to flash GSI while latest stock rom as base you start process with?

Hello,

I did quite do some experimenting on my device, but I never resized the partition table as you did. As I wrote, I did quite some experimenting. As such before flashing /e/ on my device, I made sure that stock ROM was installed including the latest updates provided by Nokia. The tool I use to deploy stock ROM (unfortunately before experimenting I did not took a back-up utilizing TWRP, as such a tool was needed) is [TOOL] [9.0/10.0] Stock-Rom Flash Tool Nokia 7 Plus [B2N_sprout] | XDA Forums.

Once stock ROM is deployed and updates are installed, then I downloaded the /e/ system-arm64-ab.img.xz GSI image and deployed it as described in the e.foundation’s documentation.
Everything goes well, except no-incall audio.

As you would expect, I have a question for you. Could you please insert a SIM and test if you have in-call audio? If yes, I could give it another shot and try once again as I would like to install /e/ GSI instead of the one I use now (i.e.: Havoc-OS GSI: https://havoc-os.com/download#gsi - which does also include signature spoofing and where in-call audio is functioning).

Regards

Gotta read this later on computer, cause I have no idea what you mean by deploying system image (edit: I think we just use different terms). I have tested to flash system image using both fastboot and twrp, but device will never reboot.

I have now played with this and flashed stock rom back 4 times, it flashes Oreo if I remember right, so it takes ages to install those updates again. And installing that unofficial lineage os 19.0 will fsil at error 28 at twrp if partitions not resized and doing that will format those partitions and stock vendor is then lost and replaced eith somehow modified version from that rom…

Cause of sll this, I wont test sim yet, cause now back st stock. I might test to flash these later again, but would prefer waulyvto flash over stock.

In meantime, keep on eye also Nokia 7 Plus request thread

I assume you also did this part:

fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification boot boot.img

I haven’t done that which might explain not booting when flashing over stock. Gotta look how to backup boot.img from device, or try with shared march_q_boot.img if this step is the one which will make the difference will it boot or not.

For me that tool for flashing stock didn’t work, especially after device couldn’t even recoqnize slots. Might share that other method later when at computer if needed.

Correct, I also did the part you mentioned. The experience you have looks strange tot me, because I didn’t have any issues installing the GSI image on the stock ROM. However, when I have some spare time, I’ll perform the procedure once again. Once completed I’ll write a report of it. For myself it is a good test case to check if the latest GSI version solved the in-call audio bug/problem.

By the way, and for your intrest; deploying is a term used regurarly at the office where I work. You may replace it by the wordt flashing or installing. My excuses for any misunderstanding that it may have caused.

I don’t wonder if it looks strange, but cause I never was able to boot unless flashed that unofficial lineage before gsi and that rom requires strange steps…

Btw.

Does those extra parameters at command

fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification boot boot.img

remove / disable dm verity even when using stock boot.img or is it required to first patch boot.img or use ie. this:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/how-to-disable-dm-verity.4347131/post-85780801

via twrp?

Just checking to get this part right and maybe able to boot gsi flashed on top of stock.

quote=“jonkersa, post:7, topic:39976”]
By the way, and for your intrest; deploying is a term used regurarly at the office where I work. You may replace it by the wordt flashing or installing. My excuses for any misunderstanding that it may have caused.
[/quote]

No worries, figured that must be so. I’m not native english speaker and for me deploying is more to do when working with code and deploying it (even thought not coder either). Flashing rom or gsi or installing linux / windows for me haven’t ever be deploying, but… All that matters is that at the end people understand each others. :slight_smile:

The command fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification boot boot.img as I understand it must be performed with an unmodified stock boot.img file. I Also wondered myself how to get my hands on an unmodified boot.img file. But then I realised that I can extract the boot.img from the tool I use to re-install the stock ROM (I referenced the tool in one of my previous replies).

I do remember myself that if I didn’t have the tool things - don’t know by heart which ones - must be done with TWRP to extract boot.img from a working device with stock ROM installed.

1 Like

There’s also

https://t.me/bootimages7plus

Previous csn be found at notes from

https://t.me/Nokia7PlusGlobal

I probably try tomorrow. Would you like me to test first /e/ OS GSI (most likely same result as you had) or that other GSI which I didn’t test yet with sim-card?

Whatever you prefer. My intrest is tot know of the incall problemen is solved in a later GSI release as the one I tried before. Because, in my point of view the /e/'s implementation of phh-treble’s “code” is the cause of the bug. For the rest, I want tot thank you fort the effort.

Tested today. You can endeed boot to GSI starting from stock as base. Flashed /e/ GSI v1.2 (based on Q / A10)…

No audio at phonecall, enabled alternative audio from phh treble settings, rebooted and still no audio. Can’t even hear that sound wile it starts dialing.

Will go full stock again and test that another GSI which might be not allowed to mention here.

So even with the latest release the incall audio bug is not solved, you saved me another unsuccesfull test. If you want to flash the other (not mentioned :slight_smile: ) GSI, my experience is that it is not necessary to go back tot stock ROM. In other words, you can do it on top of the /e/ GSI.

I already flashed stock today and tested A12.1 based GSI on top of that, styck at android one with same flaahing method. Chatted with someone who has flashed it on Nokia 7.1, he used another ROM from Raghu Varma ( Pixel Experience ) and flashed on top of that. End reault is same as with unofficial Lineage OS from same dev as base. Flashing requires resizing partitions on both and audio works on phonecall and with both banking apps detects rootveven when there’s actually not…

Now kind of back at starting point if I want to get at least some banking app working. On sine devicevthat same app has worked without root complains with that same GSI

Hello. I’m user of Nokia 3.2 (Deadpool_00WW, TA-1156) and have same issue.
Maked some logs. Maybe it help.
12:21 - call accepted
12:22 - call ended
logcat.txt and radio.txt