Now I'm google free (again) and I like it

Hi everyone!

This is my first post in this community and I hope it’s OK to talk a bit about my ways to eOS.

A few month ago I bought myself a new phone. Because I liked the business concept of Fairphone I decided to buy a Fairphone 3. For me a smartphone isn’t a status symbol so I didn’t care about the fact that the FP3 wasn’t particularly beautiful and also quite heavy. The only point that made me unhappy was the Google OS. I missed the LineageOS I had on my previous phone. Because I was not sure about the warranty I waited a while and in this time I discovered eOS.

Last week I had risk-taking day and I installed eOS. And yes, I am excited. Everything worked and still works absolutely fine. Most of my preferred apps were available (more than on LineageOS) in the well sorted app store. OK, the original launcher wasn’t my thing but my old Nova does it now. An important difference from LineageOS is the power consumption. eOS seems to be pleasantly more economical with the battery. I cannot see any difference to the old Google OS. LOS, on the other hand, drained the battery pretty quickly.

I must confess that I am not really a smartphone nerd. For me, the device is nothing more than a helpful tool. However, it should work as smoothly as possible - and that seems to be the case so far. If I now include the important data protection aspect, I have to say I am completely satisfied. I’m glad I took the step to eOS in combination with FP3.

I wish you all a happy new year.
Harry

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

15 Likes

Great to hear that you are a happy user.
Do you use the /e/ ecosystem (e-mail, cloud, calendars & contacts sync). If so, what are your impressions?

As I mentioned I’m not a smartphone nerd BUT I’m kind of a computer nerd :wink: . That’s why I have my own Linux server with Nextcloud here in my house. I also have several websites with eMail addresses. So I guess I don’t need the /e/ ecosystem at the moment. Maybe I’ll check it out for my son. He still uses my old smartphone (with LineageOS) at the moment but he’s thinking about buying a new one.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.