OnePlus - 5 - cheeseburger - Documentation Suggestions

Please add your suggestions to improve the documentation for the OnePlus - 5 - cheeseburger here …

I’ve been wanting to try out /e/ os for a while and finally decided to attempt to install it on my oneplus 5. Reading the device installation guide, I immediately got stuck on the first step:

Updating firmware

1. Ensure you have downloaded the latest R firmware for the cheeseburger

There is no link or explanation of where to find the required firmware or which firmware version to use.

I know the risk of not having the correct firmware is quite severe, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out here. How exactly do I go about installing the latest /e/ os version on my oneplus 5 / cheeseburger device ?

Hi @casual_gamer welcome to the /e/ forum.

You are right to spend some time to get to the bottom of this issue.

I do not know the OnePlus 5, but let’s first look where you are starting from.

• Are you running Oxygen on the device currently?
  • Do you believe your current build is fully up to date?
  • If you look in Settings > About phone > perhaps look under Android version > Do you see “Vendor security patch level”?
    (The location will differ with different Android builds.)

Please share the details.

Three places you might look for further information on the subject are

1 Like

If you have installed the latest official Android version from Oneplus, you automatically have the latest firmware on it.

PS: I’ve been using/e/ OS for a year on my ONEPLUS 5 and it works great!

Okay, I dodged a bullet thanks to you and @Skidrow. Turns out I wasn’t running the latest OxygenOS version but was running

• OxygenOS version 5.1.7
  • Android version 8.1.0
  • Android Security Patch Level October 1, 2018

Even though clicking check for updates says I’m on the latest version (probably due to the servers being down for my device), that was clearly not the case after investigating using the links you provided.

The oneplus website you linked provided the latest version as a zip file which I could apply using local upgrade. So I first updated to the latest version (oxygen 10.0.1)

From that point onward I was able to follow the device installation guide I previously linked to. I installed /e/ os and successfully booted into /e/ os. It’s all up and running now and it’s looking pretty sweet :slight_smile:.

Thank you so much !

2 Likes

Hello,
dumpling is now listed with “T” only version as available on the website, but on the repository, there are “Q, R, S”. Is that intended?

1 Like

@dbkblk Most of the OnePlus are that way. I think the T will be upload by the 28th, just a work in progress.

1 Like

I loaded a 6T and a 5 from 1.81 /e/ R Android 11 to Android 13 /e/ T using the T zip with adb sideload, with no issues so far. OnePlus 5 had apps and pictures.
Took off password, and had developer options: usb debug, oem unlock, and file transfer setting for usb. See link where I might have mentioned more.

Can’t say you’ll get the same results, but T seems like a win for me! I’ll still be backing up my daily OP 6T before I try it again! :wink: