OnePlus 7 pro problems with latest OS

I have 2 persons in my neighborhood with a OP7 pro. One installed V2.0 on T (Android 13) without an issue, the other who was on R (Android 11) faced the above issue…

I suggested the person to first move to T, but saw Android 12 is needed in these in the instructions?

https://doc.e.foundation/devices/guacamole/install

How can you be on Android 12, while only 11 and 13 are available? Can he ignore this, or?

1 Like

If on latest Android 12, then you are ok to install /e/OS 13 (T).

But you cannot use /e/OS to downgrade Android version.

So if one wishes to install /e/OS R, the phone must start from Oxygen Android 11.

Furthermore the instructions are written for the Community build, 13(T).

I did read your reply a few times, but I guess I am missing the point.

When on e.os 1.21 and Android R (Android 11), what would be the steps to follow?

Sorry, I think I did not read well the background info.

If one wanted to follow the manual command line instructions in order to have Android 13 (T), then one would first need to revert the phone to OxygenOS (12) in order to fulfill

Before following these instructions please ensure that the device is on the latest Android 12 firmware.

It is the OxygenOS (12) which will contain the required Android 12 firmware.

Bear in mind

1. Upgrade from Android 11 to Android 12 OxygenOS 12 first.

2. Now you can install /e/OS-T or R

There are at least three different methods to install Android 12 OxygenOS 12. One of them is: Flash Stock Firmware on OnePlus 7 Pro via Fastboot One of them is (in abbreviated form):

1. Download Android 12 OxygenOS 12 for OnePlus 7/7T/7T Pro
  2. Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking
  3. Unlock Critical Partitions on OnePlus
  4. fastboot -w
  5. fastboot flash aop_a aop.img
    fastboot flash aop_b aop.img
    fastboot flash bluetooth_a bluetooth.img
    fastboot flash bluetooth_b bluetooth.img

fastboot reboot bootloader
1 Like

I face the same issue with Oneplus8Pro…
After having read your description… Is there any way to do this without loosing the Datapartition or will the upgrade to T always come with a full new setup?

2 Likes

Thanks! This worked for me.

Thanks for all the replies in this thread, but after reading all the stuff I am more confused than before.
On my phone OnePlus 7T, which I use as daily driver - including banking apps etc - there is Android 11. 7e/ os version is 1.21-r-20240322388914-stable-hotdogb.
Can someone please be so kind and clarify, if there is a way to upgrade the phone without loosing apps and data? And if yes, give a detailed instruction? I would be so grateful… And a big sorry for my sillyness.
Does ist make sense to activate developer options and set connect with dev chanel to yes??

I am also confused being a novice at this. Is there anyone that can give me the simple steps that could get my phone unbricked - restored using Ubuntu terminal?

I managed to unbrick by what Whimsical5049 described above as follows:
-Turn off the phone
-Connect to phone with USB to your (Ubuntu) computer with ‘fastboot’ installed
-Turn on the phone, for me it started in fastboot mode and showed ‘slot a’
-run ‘fastboot devices’ to check if it has fastboot connection
-run ‘fastboot set_active b’ (replace b with a if your phone was on slot a)
-run ‘fastboot reboot’

2 Likes

I finally did get mine to reboot. Don’t know exactly how though. I was trying to run the fastboot command with phone connected to laptop and it suddenly booted. It is the older version before 2.0. My OnePlus 7 pro is currently running Android 11. Will I need to update to 12 before trying to install e/os 2.0?

Your repeated question has already been answered.

I have guacamole running with android 11 on a Oneplus 7 pro. The update to e/OS 2.0 failed.
I understand updating to android 12 would make it possible to update to 2.0. Is that correct?

Is there a way to update to android 12 without a total reset?

Thank you very much

1. Yes!
  2. No! Not at the present time.
    It would probably only be possible if d/e/v would integrate the Android 12 firmware OxygenOS 12 into /e/OS-R (T) Upgrade.
1 Like

Sorry I just noticed you wrote the instructions already.

How do I unlock the critical partitions though?

Once I managed to get on android 12 can I use easy installer again or only manual installation?

There seem to be many problems around android 12 for the Oneplus 7 pro. Have been able to find and decent image.

Would it be unsafe to stick to 1.21?

For your information, I’ve finally managed to upgrade my 7T from version 1.20 R to version 2.1 T, but from scratch (complete formatting of the device and installation of the OS via /e/OS recovery, not via fastboot). Follow the instructions :

https://doc.e.foundation/devices/hotdogb/install

1 Requirements
2 Downloads for hotdogb (I downloaded the full zip e-2.1-t and not the recovery)
3 Unlocking the bootloader
4 then go directly to Steps to install /e/OS from recovery

It requires a backup and data transfer beforehand because the phone has to be completely formatted, but at least it works and you’re left with a machine that runs just fine.

Hope this helps… And I imagine that the same thing can be done with the 7Pro and the related files. https://doc.e.foundation/devices/guacamole/install

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

1 Like

Thank you very much. Congratulations, that sounds very good.
You installed full zip file but you used the procedure for the recovery?
Should I not first install android 12?
I am still on android 11 and guacamole. The link for the 7 Pro describes a fastboot method. If I do not use fastboot how would I install T version then?

Would it be a good idea to first flash android 12 and then use easy installer to install T dev version?
Sorry for the Newbie questions :wink:

In the link for your device there is a :

• Steps to install /e/OS from recovery.
    It is explained next to the Fastboot procedure.

And I installed it from a device running Android 11 (Android R(11) - e-1.20-r) without first upgrading to Android 12.

But that means completely formatting the device to install the new OS with android 13 (take the Android T(13) e-2.1-t zip).

I don’t know if my method is the best, but it works and my device runs without a hitch.

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

1 Like

Thank you very much. I swapped partitions after the failed attempt to install 2.1. Managed in that way to return to 1.21. Should I format both partitions?

Finally got my Oneplus 7 Pro working. I just simply used adb sideload and used the full image (not recovey) of e-2.2-t-20240717417775-dev-guacamole. It also left all my data in tact.
I started out with Android 11 on e/OS 1.21. No need to go to stock android 12 first.
At least so it appears for now ;-).

So here’s is happy camper.

1 Like