OnePlus Nord which version of /e/ to use?

Hi, I am looking to install a OnePlus Nord AC2003 for a friend who isn’t very computer literate. Henceforth I have chosen to install the latest stable version 0.22q - however, the device itself has already been updated to its stock Android 11 (r) firmware. In the instructions, it says

Before following these instructions please ensure that the device is on the latest Android Stock firmware same as the version of the /e/OS you are planning to install.

But there doesn’t seem to be a stable build of Android 11 (r) based /e/ OS available. Does that mean I can’t flash the device to /e/? Will it break something when I flash the latest stable version?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Norman

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

dev builds are also Q, based on Android 10,

And this isn’t even for an IT peson, just someone who wants a de-googled, privacy-friendly phone.

So is it OK to flash the Q-based /e/ release (“stable” since I don’t want the user to have to deal with any problems, they wouldn’t know how) over the stock Android 11 on the Nord?

You are asking for stable … so you will not want to experiment. I just checked here GitHub - LineageOS/android_device_oneplus_avicii and I see no Android 11 branch today. This would imply that an R build will not be coming soon, I would guess the first /e/ R builds will be beta.

I do not know this device, but I guess your search now will be to see if you can downgrade it safely to Android 10.

This is an Upgrade post, OxygenOS Open Beta 1 for the OnePlus Nord - OnePlus Community, it includes a rollback guide.

1 Like

Your Nord on Android 10 still has all the security patches I believe. I think Android 11 will com eventually. I’m using a Nord and it a fine phone once running e :grinning:

Yes, thanks. I found a way of downgrading the Nord before unlocking BL and therefore it wasn’t a problem to get /e/ running on the device. As soon as the screen protectors are here, I’ll give it back to my friend who’ll be quite happy with it, I assume

1 Like

Make sure to any firmware updates OnePlus has available first,if there are any.

@Jets That’s kind of contradictory: The firmware updates from OnePlus would have brought the phone back up to Android 11, and therefore it wouldn’t have been on the same version of the /e/OS I was installing on it, as it was explicitly emphasized in the instructions (see original post). That was basically my predicament, and the reason for asking this question in the first place :wink:

Firmware… I think they are independent of OS, not 100% sure how android handles it though.

I see. Then I’ll assume that with the rollback to Android 10, the firmware probably wasn’t downgraded. In that case, I’m good.

Truthfully I’m not 100% sure in Android, in anything else the firmware is separate from the OS.

Like I said I have the Nord it’s a very nice phone I’m sure your friend will be happy.