OTA update FP4 to /e/OS v1.6

I recently got a new FP4 and installed /e/OS v1.51 on it (using the manual install option, i.e from the image download). I saw that the v1.6 image is now available and I would like to update my system.

However:

• The system updater does not find a new version, but still shows v1.51 and “no new updates found”. I refreshed a couple of times in the last few days, still no luck. Is this expected? Does it just take some time for the update to become available?
  • The manual upgrade was unsuccessful and failed with some verification errors during the adb sideload process. I’m using the official image, so I don’t know why this would happen. (I locked my bootloader again after installing the v1.51 image, is that the issue?)

I would appreciate if someone can provide any insights on this. Thanks!

Usually FP4 builds take a few days longer to be released via OTA than other phones. I think it’s due to additional testing or a lack of test devices but I’m not sure. Once the update is released however it installs like any other OTA update. The bootloader doesn’t need to be unlocked when updating via OTA (I’m not sure if it is required for sideloading).
If you encounter further issues it would be helpful if you could specify the Android version of /e/OS on your device (/e/v1.X-q = based on Android 10, /e/v1.X-r = based on Android 11, /e/v1.X-s = based on Android 12) and if you are using the development or the stable build.

Thanks, I will wait a little longer then :slight_smile:

I’m using the the “S dev” Android 12 version. The full version code is: /e/OS 1.51-s-20221103231515-dev-FP4 (as shown in the updater.)

As for the sideload update, this is the error message I get on the device screen:

Supported API: 3
Finding update package...
Verifying update package...
E:footer is wrong
Update package verification took 0.1 s (result 1).
E:Signature verification failed
E:error: 21

For the update I was using the image file: IMG-e-1.6-s-20221201239247-dev-FP4.zip

It then gives me the choice to “Install anyway?” but I’m hesitant because I don’t want to brick my device. Anyone else having this problem?

I do not have an FP4, but an FP3. For me, all zips starting with IMG are not suitable for sideloading. They can only be flashed with fastboot.
Images that can be sideloaded start with e.

Interesting, and I think you’re right - there is a difference between those files. If I look at the downloads from

https://images.ecloud.global/dev/FP3/
https://images.ecloud.global/dev/FP4/

then the FP4 images all start with “IMG-” while FP3 starts with “e-”.

Now the FP3 “e” files have very different content (mainly a payload.bin with some other files, no scripts or anything[1]) than the FP4 “IMG” files (which contain system.img etc. along with flash_FP4_factory.sh.) If the FP3 image is sideload-able, then I can see how this doesn’t work with the FP4. The instructions at /e/OS Version Upgrade do not mention this, however.

[1] Worth noting that this contradicts the instructions at Install /e/OS on a Fairphone FP3/3+ - “FP3” which mention a flash_FP3_factory.sh that is not to be found anywhere in the downloads. I think the FP3 instructions are out of date?

EDIT: The OTA update appeared today on my system and worked without issues. My phone is now on 1.6-s-20221202239247-dev-FP4.

Until now, I don’t see the update… but I don’t matter and I wait, this happened also with previously update.

1 Like

I also didn’t get it yet. It will be here in a day or two

I’ve got four Murena’s FP4 phones all bought in an attempt to improve the privacy of my team at work.

Two phones on v1.5.1, one on v1.4, and one on v1.2, none having displayed the option to update to v1.6. Hoping this last update would fix a plethora of bugs, but so far nothing.

I’m starting to think this endeavor was a waste of money.

Edit: test releases show up fine when developer options are activated, but don’t want to risk due to previously stated reasons.

Dear all,
Please let me know if any of you still face this issue.
One possible issue that you can face, is likely caused by the fact that FP4 needs to move from Android 11 base to Android 12 base.
For people who are on a DEV image, you will need to manually download and install “Android S” based DEV version for your phone, using ADB.
You will get an error if you try to install STABLE version on top of a DEV version.
The images are available on /e/ image ROM download
Also, you cannot use the IMG files for update, you need to download the OTA files, by deleting “IMG-” from the web link, e.g.:
https://images.ecloud.global/dev/FP4/IMG-e-1.5.1-s-20221103231515-dev-FP4.zip : Wrong file, it is for fresh install

https://images.ecloud.global/dev/FP4/e-1.5.1-s-20221103231515-dev-FP4.zip : Right file, for update.

Hi, I desperately try to upgrade my FP3. Thanks to your comment I found out, that I am stuck on a dev Version of /e/ OS. (1.5-20221031230909)

I already tried to create a raw image of userdata (with dd) and recover it (with dd) on another FP3 with a fresh /e/ OS installation. All without success.

Can you give me a hint? I don´t want to loose my data and (as far as I see) there is not really a backup-solution that works.

Can I somehow switch from the devVersion to a stableversion of /e/ OS?
Or can I at least upgrade with adb sideload to a newer /e/ OS dev Version?

I’m happy to read any hint how I don´t need to reinstall all software on a new installation. Thanks!

PS: Your link to the “Right file, for update” still points to the “IMG” Version, but the Text of the link is correct.

Ok, but this topic here is about the Fairphone 4.

What is the complete version info? Please refer to [HOWTO] Give complete /e/OS version info easily for support, answers, comparison etc

Not without a data wipe by default.

Not without a high probability of a data wipe being necessary to boot successfully afterwards.

Upgrading dev to a new Android version amounts to a new install.

So you have another phone at hand to test things, that’s something.

Try to backup as much as you can the hard way and restore it to the new phone, take notes of what you are doing (strike the stuff that turns out not to work well) to assemble your own backup manual. The hard way would look similar to this:

• Keep the OS install files of OS versions corresponding to when you did a backup.
  • Copy the “Internal Storage” to a safe place of your choice via USB or via other means*.
    Stay aware that Android “Internal Storage” is not everything the phone stores internally.
  • Make a list of all important Apps you need.
    If you used unorthodox ways to install them, make sure you can install them again.
  • Look for backup or data export capabilities of those Apps in the Apps themselves and use those features to backup App data.
    Most Apps taking things seriously offer this.
  • The default Contacts App can export and import VCF files, the default SMS App can make SMS backups. Or use other means* to cover this.

*On Windows there’s MyPhoneExplorer, for instance, which offers to do all this.

1 Like

Hi Flavio,
I am not aware of a way to successfully backup all data (especially application data) with a backup app.
You will need to lose all data.
Here is how to upgrade , including how to backup information. I recommend this procedure not only for FP3, but for all phones to save/restore data before flashing the phone.
https://doc.e.foundation/support-topics/upgrade-fp3-from-a9.html