Paypal suddenly nonfunctional?

I certainly hope it does regain function someday. You are right though, browser will do if needed.

I had the same problem after updating, now thanks to your tip I downgraded it and it’s working again :+1: thanks very much, beer is on me :blush::beers:

1 Like

Good news, the latest PayPal app is working on my e/os 1.00

Unfortunately im not so lucky. Did you do anything besides update?

I kept trying the new updates of PayPal to see if they worked, unfortunately I didn’t try this latest version though before I updated e/os, so I don’t know if it is the app or the new os that is the solution.

The only other thing I did was a power off.

I can confirm that PayPal 8.17.1 starts correctly on /e/OS 1.0 on my FP3. But it didn’t start before updating /e/OS. So it is the OS update that solves the problem.

Thanks /e/OS-Team. :+1:

Well good for you guys. Hopefully it starts up for me back again soon

2 Likes

Paypal 8.20 isnt start on e v1 on sake asus zenfone 8

Can’t confirm this for PayPal 8.20.0 that works on /e/OS 1.0-20220622198552 on my FP3(+).
Have you tried to clear data and cache of the PayPal app and start it once again?

V8.2 working on my Samsung S9 running e/os V1.

Unfortunately still nonfunctional on my OP9P running 1.0

EDIT: just upgraded to /e/ v1.1. Still not working.

1 Like

Same for me e v1.1 on sake . Still not working

reinstall of 8.12.2 works
how can you avoid an app updating automatically? in general

If using App Lounge you can turn off auto updating in its settings.
App Lounge needs a blacklist / ignore feature to put it on par with Aurora Store and F-Droid clients.

1 Like

I found a solution on XDA (phone must be rooted)

I think this projekt has potential

the latest versions of
Paypal works
Itsme works
Bank app Argenta works

:slight_smile:

I found that the PayPal app will check for root on initial setup. If you are rooted with magisk then you should use the hide function in the magisk app. This solved the problem for me and hope it helps you as well.

That worked for me also. I only use the PayPal app on my daily driver (Moto G5 Plus running Havoc Pie). When I was running Nougat with SuperSU is when I experienced the non-working PayPal so had to downgrade it.
After moving up to Pie I forgot about the issue and installed the latest PayPal (not sure, 8.18+). Didn’t work so downgraded that to 8.12.x.

Just tried the Magisk hide thing and updated PayPal to the latest 8.21.1. It works fine.
TBH though I didn’t test it first before hiding Magisk.

Went to the Teracube with /e/OS 1.1-R and installed PayPal. The app just works. Logged in without issue and it’s up and running. Rooted without Magisk Hide set. microG’s Device Registration and GCM are off.

Maybe 8.21.1 is good to go now? Can others confirm?

Other checks.
Essential PH-1, /e/OS 1.1-Q, Magisk: Fail. If it doesn’t crash at startup it’ll be stuck with a white screen before a “PayPal isn’t responding” dialog pops up.
Tried Magisk Hide, disable any networking restrictions. Nothing. Just won’t run. Recorded a log (Logcat Extreme) but can’t get anything useful from it.

OnePlus 8T, Havoc A11/R, microG, Magisk: Works.

Moto G5s Plus, Oreo, no Google nor microG: Fail. Same behavior as on the Essential. Logs from MatLog were similarly lost on me. Meaning nothing I can see or know to change the outcome.

Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'int java.lang.Integer.intValue()' on a null object reference

So, it works on some and not on others. Don’t know the why’s or what to do’s.

I’m attempting this on my backup 8T (which uses full Lineage, full disclosure). Magisk has been installed, but it looks like the tutorials on how to enable Hide are out of date. Mind sharing?

In the Magisk app look for the settings wheel cog

In the settings you can find hide

OK I see Hide the Magisk app, do I just give it another name and that’ll do the trick?

EDIT: Renaming the app did not, in fact, do the trick

Yes, I believe there are 2 ways to hide magisk in the settings. They both do different types of hiding.