Paypal suddenly nonfunctional?

Did Paypal stop working for anyone else?
Recently noticed that i can no longer open the app without it immediately crashing on my OnePlus 9 Pro. The 9 Pro is on v0.23, Paypal is version 8.13.1. When this started i confirmed that Paypal would still open on my backup OnePlus 8T (running v0.22). 8.13.1 was just pushed to that phone, and now the same thing happens there.
Are we dead in the water til Paypal updates the app again?

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

1 Like

same with my Pixel 3 and eOS0.23-20220323172928 and PP 8.13.1
my 2nd Pixel 3 with eOS0.23-20220224165877 and PP 8.12.1 still runs OK
now I updated to 8.13.1 and it failes, too

Glad I’m not the only one. Hopefully a fix is imminent

I’ll extract the apk from my wifes mobile. It is an older version.

Interesting. I don’t use the PayPal app normally. Just installed version 8.13.1 on /e/OS 0.11 Pie (Essential PH-1) and CarbonROM Android 11 w/microG (OnePlus 8T).

Installed via Aurora Store, starts and runs fine here. Logins and whatnot also good. I was hoping it would fail so I could grab logs but…
Are all of your failures on the latest /e/OS? As you can see mine is old. But both of those phones have the latest microG so I know that’s not a factor. Maybe.

To round out the testing I installed PayPal on /e/OS 0.19 Nougat (Axon 7). It crashes. Won’t run at all. Logs show a bunch of firebase entries after the FATAL EXCEPTION.
Actually, before that there is a FAILED ENSURE: object cannot be null which is listed as the cause in the FATAL EXCEPTION block.

Now I’m curious as it could just be isolated to Nougat or something else.

LineageOS 14.1 Unofficial 2022-01 (Moto G5 Plus potter). UnGoogled (domains blocked) so I had to get PayPal via Apkmirror. No microG.
Crashes. Same errors as on the Axon.

XenonHD, Oreo (Moto G5s Plus sanders). No microG.
Crashes, won’t run. Same errors as the previous two.

After all those words the conclusion is as simple as suggested. Downgrade. Version 8.12.3 works fine on the above failed devices/ROMs. Apkmirror is your friend in this case.

Yup I’ll grab that apk soon and keep it on hand just in case future updates don’t fix the issue.

App Lounge updated Paypal to 8.14 last night. The app opens briefly, but still crashes after a few seconds.

Same here on FP3 on /e/OS 0.22 Android 10.
PayPal 8.13.1 crashes immediately after starting.
Works again after uninstall and reinstall of 8.12.2.

If you don’t have @alibaba 's wife’s mobile to extract the APK of an older version, it can be downloaded in Aurora Store by searching/selecting the PayPal App-> opening the … menu on the upper right → “Chose Version” (or similar, translated from “Version auswählen” in German) → enter “1150076504” into Version code input → “Check” (“Prüfen” in German).
Afterwords block (automatic) updates of the PayPal App.

4 Likes

Can confirm that an Xiaomi 10T Pro, /e/ v.0.23 and PayPal 8.13.1. The downgrade option described by @ManuelS works for me - thank you… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thats very helpful ManuelS. In case this happen to other apps, where can I find the version codes for apps?

Thanks

1 Like

I’m also infected. Moto cedric + /e/ v.0.23 and PayPal 8.13.1
Works again after uninstall and reinstall of 8.12.2
thanks manuelS

1 Like

That is a very good question. I found the version code of this specific PayPal app version somewhere online, but a general search function for all Google Play Store apps and versions would be very helpful.
I’ll try to find out and post it here.

Even more so since the App Lounge is pretty clearly a fork of Aurora. If apps breaking like this is possible /e/ needs to have mitigation measures in place.

You can find out version numbers and codes of current and previous app versions on apkpure.com.

There is a search function that allows you to search for any app in Google Play Store.

1. Search for the app, in this case PayPal.

2. Select the app in the search results by clicking the app title and not the “Download (X)APK” button.

3. Scroll down. There you’ll find the section “Previous versions”.

4. Click the … button (a) or the “X Variants” button (b) of the desired version.

5.a The version code is in the heading of the popup.

5.b The version code is in the list of variants in column Variant (seems to be the same for all variants).

Of course you could download the APK directly from apkpure.com, but that could be compromised, so it might be a better choice to download the original from Google Play Store through Aurora Store.
Decide on your own…

2 Likes

Very helpful ManuelS.

1 Like

Thank you ManuelS. This works for me perfect on my GS290.

Anyone tried the latest 27/4/22 - 8.16.0?

No go on my 8T, I’ve been keeping my Daily Driver on the last working version. Also, App Lounge seems to have difficulty deciding what app version is most recent

Its not looking like new versions of PayPal are going to work on our devices. Will keep the latest working version until it stops working, then I will just access PayPal via a browser.