Phone app keeps crashing system UI

I’m trying to install /e/ OS on my new Fairphone 3. All works well except for the phone/dialer app. Each time I try to call someone or get called and answer, first the phone app crashes (states: “[phone] app doesn’t react, do you want to close it?”) and then the system UI crashes (same message then device gets rebooted). Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

I’m not the most techy guy but I already tried a few things to solve this:

1. Multiple reboots, didn’t have any effect

2. Installed multiple builds (listed below), also no effect.
    [IMG-e-0.10-p-2020080666687-dev-FP3.zip]
    [IMG-e-0.9-p-2020072865179-dev-FP3.zip]
    [IMG-e-0.9-p-2020061158052-dev-FP3.zip]

3. Tried using the phone app without a sim-card inserted. App states that there is no network available and then crashes phone app and system UI.

Help would be very much appreciated!

[btw, I installed the OS following the instructions on https://doc.e.foundation/devices/FP3/install]

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

3 Likes

Anyone able to help?

Hi Dizzle,

I don’t have a Fairphone, so I can’t give you any specific advice,
but I’d say that, since you’ve already tried three of the five builds that are online, try the remaining two, and maybe also try to format the partitions, and change the filesystem from ext4 to ext3 and then back to ext4 (it often works…).

I don’t know what else to suggest unfortunately, I’m sorry :crossed_fingers:

Hi Claudio,

Thx for the advice! I will work on this, and let you know if it works.

Best

It happens to me from time to time, but on random apps. I’ve had e-0.10 and e-0.11

I have the same error. Everytime i try to call someone, my wallpaper appears (a little bit darker) and nothing works anymore. Can someone help?
Cheers!

Is the Problem still there?

Hello, welcome in the forum :slight_smile:

It would be nice if you could raise an issue on our gitlab with logs please. FYI, the creation of the log file has to be triggered after the issue occurred.

This way the dev team will be able to look into it.

Hello,
thank you for your answer! :slight_smile:

Here is the log-file attached.
https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/1916

I turned the issue confidential, because i updated the whole log-file. Hope this is okay. If not, write me. Thank you!

Best regards!

Hi guys,

I bought a Fairphone 3 with e OS and in general everything is fine. I just have the problem that during a call using the default caller app the phone sometimes crashes. Then it is turned off completely and I have to hold the power button for really long to turn it on again.

This is very annoying especially for the people who I am calling.

Does anyone know a solution to this?

Thanks for the help

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

It looks a bit like this existing problem: Phone app keeps crashing system UI

I’d continue there to bundle all findings in one place (even if there’s not much yet).

2 Likes

I’ve had similar issues with random UI crashes on a Fairphone 2. Replacing the Bliss launcher with the Kiss launcher from F-Droid improved things a lot!

Btw, Kiss took just minutes to get used to, it’s really low maintenance compared to Bliss – particularly once the apps are properly tagged. In retrospect, I really don’t know why I lived with Bliss’ shortcomings (e.g. no re-ordering of apps in groups, impossible to remove the weather widget, pretty much no functional updates in years etc) for so long.

1 Like