Phone charged laptop‽ USB Charging in wrong direction? Now phone is bricked?

Please help… my elderly OnePlus 3T running /e/ 0.14 was dying, so I spent money I could barely afford on a second hand OnePlus 7T Pro handset and then spent ages successfully loading /e/ hotdog Android 13 (a.k.a. /e/ T) onto it.

I noticed weirdness with the USB Charging options when connected to my Dell XPS13 running a clean install of Linux Mint 21.2. When connected together (with a brand new, decent quality Anker USB-C to USB-C cable), the phone automatically seemed to be trying to charge the laptop. See this posting by some random internet person. I switched this off, but every time I reconnected the cable, it was reset.
This is the screenshot from the above post - obviously not /e/ but Android:

Anyway, I started using the phone as a tethered device until the phone quickly died - I presumed just the battery. Now it will not charge (I’ve been trying multiple functional, known chargers and cables - except the laptop - over the last few hours) and will not power on, nor will VolumeUp+VolumeDown+Power or VolDown+Power work. No sign of life at all.

I don’t want and can’t afford an expensive brick. Anyone able to enlighten me or help?

Thanks very much,

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

I have had devices which seem too flat to charge and too flat to start.

I would not be afraid to allow the phone to sit OFF and idle for > 2 hours, better overnight – this may be the best way to simulate removal of the battery – this is to attempt a complete full stop of power to the device.

Later, when you charge the device with a known good charger be prepared to see no “charging” indication for an hour. If no charging indication for 2 hours, I suggest to unplug the charger briefly and reconnect.

1 Like

Good suggestion. I’ll do that now.:crossed_fingers:

Thanks once again @aibd ; you’re becoming my guardian angel! :+1:

Thanks for suggesting patience, @aibd as that was the solution, although it took a couple of days rather than overnight.
My guesswork is that the battery management system allowed extreme discharging to dangerously low levels.
Then presumably/possibly, a capacitor that handles recharging or displaying the ‘battery flat, recharge’ logo took forever to trickle charge from the eggcupfull of electrons left in the battery… but when it did (I eventually saw a recharge logo on pressing ‘Power’) it was then able to recharge without issue.