Phone no longer asking for password to decrypt

My phone used to ask for a password to decrypt on turn on, but no longer does. I take it an app is causing this.

Is there a quick way to find which app this is?

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Hello Confused,

good to know for us: What device and which Android-version.

I don’t think that an app can break or disable your phone-encryption. Never heard this before. But i am willing to learn :wink:

A modern Android phone is encrypted by default with your pin/password/whatever. Since a while there is no full-disk-encryption anymore. Now it is file-based encryption: Start your phone, enter your SIM-pin and enter your pin/password/whatever. That’s it.

See here: File-Based Encryption  |  Android Open Source Project

You can see if your device is encrypted in the settings or you can install over F-Droid the app “IsPhoneEncrypted” and test it.

Did you reinstall the device? Upgraded to a higher Android version?

Sunny Bearcliff

1 Like

Its a S9.

The difference in phones, is the one that now doesn’t ask for a decrypt password says - Encryption needs a secure lock screen (see pic), but the other phone doesn’t. Both have lock screen passwords, but I think activating certain app features affects lock screen. Was hoping there was a quick way to find the culprit app.

So, you have two S9?

On reddit I found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/LineageOS/comments/9wzrpr/trust_encryption_needs_a_secure_lock_screen/
Maybe this part helps:

I just had to go to Settings > Security & privacy > Screen lock > Choose any (I picked the one that’s marked as “Current screen lock”). It’d bring me to a new window that says something about “Secure start-up”. I basically just had to say Yes to everything it said. Afterwards, Trust > Encryption will become “Enabled” again.

2 Likes

Two S9, one personal, one business.

Thank you, that fixed it.

1 Like

Nice to hear, that it worked.

Sunny Bearcliff

1 Like

This was very helpfull to me too! Thank you.