Pixel 3 - always starts into stock OS - No /e/OS possible?!?!

Dears,

i am trying to get /e/OS to run on my Pixel 3. It was easy on the 4 and 5 but somehow not on the Pixel 3.
I followed the instructions but always end up with the same issue after sideloading v.1.8.
When rebooting the phone it ALWAYS starts back up into Stock Android 12!

Do i need to lock the bootloader (i did not do it with the pixel 4 and 5 btw)? If yes, how do i do it?
I tried it via the recovery file and it ended up in teh phone telling me there is no operating system on the phone anymore!

I am really lost here and looking for support.

When using TWPR btw i see a hint that the slot used is “B” (Flashing A/B zip to inactove slot B) Not sure if this is creating the issue. How do i activate slot A? If this does even make any sense:)

@Manoj i also checked the “known issues” with the Pixel 3 and i did not see this one so far.

Thanks already for the support to all of you.

Best regards,

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

It is an exepected indication in TWRP

But you said " i follow the instructions " so i presume you use the recovery-e

As i remember flashing both slot using fastboot is recommanded

If not mentionned in the instructions, you cannot relock the boitloader

Hi @piero indeed i followed the instructions but also tried it via twrp.

I saw some post online where the fastboot flash boot command end with a “…_ab” befor pasting the recovery image.

Anyhow it is hard to find a good instruction for e os to properly flash a and b with a recovery to be able to install e os or alike :frowning: most comments are found for twrp.

Thus i am still thankful for some instructions.

Best regards,

Not seeing any other issues regarding the booting of the Pixel 3 blueline. We have blueline as one of the devices on the shortlist for upgrade to T or Android 13. That may be able to resolve this issue. The tentative ETA for the upgrades is end of Jan early Feb.

Hi @Manoj ,

I was also surprised to encounter this a/b partition issue with the pixel 3 as i never saw a post here about a/b partition challenges. However,it is real with the pixel 3. I thought the community might have gained experience with this issue.

But i understand there is no “e os” way yet and you recommend to wait for a stable android t version? Did i get you right?

Thanks and best regards,

Blueline will get a dev /e/OS T build in Feb 2024 as part of v1.19 release :crossed_fingers:

@Manoj do the Pixel 3 XL will also make it to /e/OS T in february?
I’ve checked the lists of phones to be upgraded to T and there are no mentions for either the Pixel 3 or Pixel 3XL.
Thank you!

yes, fingers crossed. Is there a reason why no stable version is in sight?

Also, the A/b Partion thing should be no issue with version T?

Best regards,

Dears,

i foudn the solution and hence would like to recommend a change in the instructions.

follow the normal instructions found for teh pixel 3 (blueline).

Once you rebooted for the first time into the e os recovery, format the data and go via “advanced” into fastboot mode". You will be doing this on partion b by default.
When you are in “/e/os fastboot”, you the type command “fastboot flash boot_a (/e/OS recovery.img)” in your terminal programm (windows). This will write the recovery onto partition a.
Next sideload the downloaded /e/OS ROM and reboot your device.

Done
This is how it worked for me.

Best regards,

1 Like

Only devices we sell or used to sell on the Murena Store get stable builds.All the other get dev builds.

thanks. Got it.

Have a great day

Hello,
I would like to know if the installation of the last Android on the Pixel 3 is mandatory if we wanth eOS to work. Or if it can work if we use eOS R?

This topic was automatically closed after 180 days. New replies are no longer allowed.