Pixel 7 restarts without warning + bootloader cannot lock again

After installing eos successfully on a wiped Pixel 7 with this documentation, I am having an issue where several times per day, the device freezes and then restarts. It’s obviously quite disruptive.

Through this, I have noticed that the bootloader is still unlocked - there is indeed nothing in the docs about relocking it at the end. I noticed that for the FP4 install, there are instructions to relock the bootloader at the end.
So I’ve tried to relock the bootloader, but I get this error FAILED (remote: 'invalid android images, skip locking').

code % fastboot flashing get_unlock_ability
(bootloader) get_unlock_ability: 1
OKAY [  0.045s]
Finished. Total time: 0.045s

code % fastboot flashing lock
FAILED (remote: 'invalid android images, skip locking')
fastboot: error: Command failed

So I guess this is actually 2 questions:

1. Any tips on solving this freeze-restart issue?
  2. Are we supposed to leave the bootloader unlocked for Pixel phones?

Thanks!

You are lucky not having bricked your phone trying to relock its bootloader !

2 Likes

Better to follow the instructions which you were correctly following Install /e/OS on a Google Pixel 7 - “panther” and, yes, leave it unlocked.

Re the freeze / restart (usually lately of UI only, is that what you see?) has been reported for other devices Issues · e / Backlog · GitLab. Did you first try Factory reset ?

1 Like

Thanks your answer. I’ve factory reset my phone and will see if it helps!

The message (bootloader) get_unlock_ability: 1 states that the device and operating system are suitable for locking the bootloader again, but - this must also be intended by the CustomROM developer.

To do this, a so-called avb_custom_key must also be flashed, which /e/ does not provide for its /e/OS-T for the Google Pixel 7 (panther). So the bootloader must remain open for /e/OS to work.

/e/ only supports bootloader relocking within the supported Google Pixel family for the Google Pixel 4 ( flame ) and (Pixel 5 ( redfin ). For other supported devices, see /e/ Smartphone Selector respectively /e/OS documentation.

1 Like

… if it works or if it doesn’t :grimacing:

1 Like

Update: unfortunately, factory reset has not helped. My phone has frozen and restarted 5 times in the last 2 hours.

Try this:

Start your Pixel 7 in Bootloader/Fastboot/Download Modus:
With the device powered off, hold Volume Down + Power device button.

Now enter the following command on the PC terminal to unlock the bootloader again:

fastboot flashing unlock

If the device does not restart automatically, restart it with Start device button,

It should now be unlocked and running again.

hi, I have tried this before a few times (and tried it again just in case), but as mentioned my bootloader is currently unlocked.

code % fastboot flashing unlock
(bootloader) device already unlocked
OKAY [  0.005s]
Finished. Total time: 0.005s

To clarify, the phone is “functional” - but several times per hour it freezes (not UI-only, because the sound cuts off as well) and then restarts.

You might try to get a log of the event either by Create a log @/e/ or there is an alternative method

Settings > System > Developer options > Enable /e/OS Telemetry

The report is expected to show as a Notification shortly after an event.

That wasn’t clear to me.

One solution could be to completely reset the device, i.e. to install an original factory firmware “panther” for Pixel 7 13.0.0 (TQ3A.230901.001, Sep 2023) using fastboot commands. This process is not identical to a factory reset and therefore has advantages because it is a clean reinstallation.

Settings > System > Developer options > Enable /e/OS Telemetry

Great minds, I had just enabled that! Thank you. Hopefully I get some helpful logs soon.

One solution could be to completely reset the device, i.e. to install an original factory firmware “panther”

Right, hopefully I can get a bit more context on what is going on first, because it is a bummer when I have to wipe the device totally and have to reinstall everything. But absolutely will do this if nothing else works.

Installing the original factory firmware only takes a few minutes. You could just as quickly install an alternative CustomROM of iodéOS 5.2 (A14) via flash_all.bat / flash_all.sh, carelessly lock the bootloader again and find out how your ‘panter’ behaves.

Google Pixel devices are among the easiest smartphones to use.

Thanks for sharing.

Installing the original factory firmware only takes a few minutes.

I am unclear what this means. Would I not have to wipe the device if I install the original factory firmware? What I meant by reinstall everything was reinstalling my apps, etc.

You could just as quickly install an alternative CustomROM of iodéOS 5.2

Thanks for the tip, I am now looking into it!

Google Pixel devices are among the easiest smartphones to use.

That’s good to hear! So far I am not having the easiest experience with this device, but hopefully once this is solved it will be good.

No. If you install an original factory firmware on your Pixel 7, the fastboot commands ensure that a clean Google Pixel Android firmware is installed. Partitions are deleted, recreated and rewritten. Of course, all data is lost during this procedure, but the system is usually restored from the ground up and possible system errors are eliminated. This is the best starting point for installing a CustomROM.

Of course, all data is lost during this procedure

Right, that’s what I meant, sorry if that wasn’t clear. But at this point I have accepted that I shouldn’t store anything on this phone until I’ve established it’s stable, and moved everything to a different phone while I experiment. Thanks!