Please rename /e/ to something pronounceable & searchable

So search for efoundation devices

because in order to KNOW to search for efoundation, someone must know that /e/ is efoundation.

I agree with the request in this topic. Although e or /e/ seem carchy, it is a VERY UNINSPIRED branding idea for several reasons:

1. is too generic and literally impossible to find relevant information on search engines
  2. “/e/” is not a set of valid characters to be used in an OS for naming files directories (for example if I want to store all the related files about the os in my computer)
  3. people here are suggesting “why not use efoundation instead”? For a simple reason: because “e” and “efoundation” are not the same word. So, if I tell someone “dude, check that awesome ungoogled OS called e”, won’t know to search for “efoundation”
  4. the association between e and efoundation is too ambiguous and unless expressed explicitly, a new user may not figure it out.
  5. no search engine will ever index based on “e”. Is too short, to common, irrelevalt as a search criteria.

If the decision remains that e is the name of this OS, perhaps giving a “name” to each OS Major version would be a good idea to make searching and indexing more intuitive.

Ultimately the decision will belong to the /e/ team…

1 Like

Why is this thread even open, they won’t change it anyway …

It should be renamed before it gets too popular, but I doubt they will do. It’s really not searchable, if you search for e it only shows you generic stuff or the letter e-related content, if you search for /e/ most of the search engines do not recognize the slash (/) or interpret it as URL. If you search for efoundation some search engines may force you to search for “e foundation” instead due to the spell check (so does Google), so the best way is searching for e-foundation with a (hyphen-minus).
Eelo used to be a good name on search engines, but you can only find stuff related to old news when the project was named this way. Quite depressing, to be honest.
/e/ may sound modern or minimalist, but search engines do not care about it, it’s like searching for * or (.
To the project be known and searchable, it should have a very good name (even something invented) to become catchy and going mainstream.

1 Like

There will be a new brand name as you can read here. We can finally stop discussing and start waiting until the second article is published :wink:

To be continued: */e/ & 2021: the year everything is going to change (2/2) — New product roadmap to a V1 and a new brand name.

4 Likes

Hmm… Many people seem to have found it.

@spipau. Part 2 is published now! We can still continue discussing for a few weeks :wink:
Gaël’s article part 2 here.

2 Likes

And a new brand!

We will unveil a new brand in June this year, this is going to be explained in a specific post later this year…

The show must go on. :tada:

3 Likes

With this kind of attitude “why even try, because it won’t change…” we would’n even have internet…

Has the show taken place? End of june is coming fast!

Maybe freeOS ? :wink: I think the search results are getting better but still this name is confusing to most :wink: FreeOS would be a good name because what we want is freedom - from google, apple, tracking… We want our privacy back. And the system is free to install which is another perk.

1 Like

I think this is ‘Fairtec’

This topic will be closed the 26 of June !

THE BIG ANNOUNCEMENT IS COMING SOON !

1 Like

Does this imply the announcement will be made before 26th? Or the topic will be closed to prevent people from inquiring (especially if the announcement will be delayed) ?

1 Like

Saying, time life or life time for a topic in discourse infrastructure could be 31 month. ( Lol )
this one was created 2018.11.26

Why not close a topic when the matter is either solved or becomes obsolete? What is the benefit of artificially deciding how long a topic should be alive? People will make new ones eventually but it will be more difficult to relate to prior conversations on same idea.

I just keep refresh the e.foundation website waiting for the new name

7 Likes

The new name will be ~e~!

6 Likes

Roncos nailed your worst issue long ago, this effort is very difficult to find.

One must know already that an open source privacy mod to Android is possible relatively easily plus how desirable that is personally.

There Should not be a real need to obscure what you are all doing, and there is growing awareness at least in the US how useful this could become.

Remember much of what happens here needs investors who want this to find us before they might fund or otherwise support us.

I would favor something close to Liberty (maybe not even English), but probably an entirely new word of maybe three or four syllables easy to pronounce and spell, to make finding this easier with short verbal or text hints. That way when anyone mentions due concern about proprietary based exploitation by computing device makers, the one word reply might be “LibertyOS”.

I guess my only concern in this regard is that proprietary software should remain licensed for non-essential device functions, otherwise complex software functions are not worth expensive fast development. The same reason invention copyrights are desirable.

It’s great news this is so close to happening!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.