Please rename /e/ to something pronounceable & searchable

Janey: Hey, what’s that on your phone, android?
Jimmy: No it’s E OS , it’s really cool. It’s open source and doesn’t steal your data. Look it up.
Next day:
Janey: I tried finding out about that e os but all I see are cameras. That’s the name right?
Jimmy: Oh, sorry, well actually it’s called Forward Slash e Forward Slash mobile OS.
Janey: That sounds…elegant…

Next week:
Jonny: Hey Janey , what’s that on your phone, is it android?
Janey: No it’s Forward Slash e Forward Slash mobile OS , it’s really cool. It’s open source and doesn’t steal your data. Look it up.
Jonny: Wait, which one is forward slash? Is there a space? Oh well, never mind.

Don’t you see the problem here?

4 Likes

Repeating what is already given in the thread above…

1 Like

Oh I know, I read it. I was just explaining what I meant by “unsearchable”. I’m half-normie on my mother’s side, non-alpha-numeric characters scare people off. Heck, accents, diacritics and umlauts scare off most native English speakers.

Hope you guys have picked something good for the name!

efon :slight_smile:
(here is a text to reach the 20 chars limit)

I think we should not be referencing Google in the name, even indirectly. We want people to see us as a genuine alternative rather than some sort of wannabe.

3 Likes

There is already a well known software framework called Electron. This might lead to confusion. The best names are those which return no results on search engines (in particular, Google :nauseated_face:)

4 Likes

Sadly this is true, otherwise it would be an awesome name!

Type Electron into Google and look at the first page of results. Then type IOS into Google and look at the first page of results. See what I mean? We would have an (yet another) uphill battle trying to make ‘Electron’ most associated with this operating system in the collective consciousness.

2 Likes

No promises but end of this year 2019 we may just have a new name…

3 Likes

I found out about you guys just yesterday from the Destination Linux Podcast on youtube. They too spoke about the naming/branding. Do check it out about their impressions on your OS.

Hope to chime in my name too if you don’t mind on thread that was done with @Manoj @Julien

How about “ethos”? Stylized as ethOS

Definitions;
Merriam Webster - the distinguishing character, sentiment, moral nature, or guiding beliefs of a person, group, or institution.

Oxford Learner’s - ​The moral ideas and attitudes that belong to a particular group or society.

Lexico - The characteristic spirit of a culture, era, or community as manifested in its attitudes and aspirations.

11 Likes

Wow i REALLY like this idea!!! Give this person a prize and make it so!!

1 Like

It looks like ethOS ils already a linux distro to mine ethereum :sad:

1 Like

Damn ! Just looked it up.

Well I tried. Lol

Hi! Thank you for your message. However, don’t worry, the future name has been probably already choosen and will be revealed at the release of V1.

4 Likes

Oh YEAH! Congrats /e/!! I’m happy tonight!

ok, so when this ga/e/l_V1 will be released :smiley: ?

It should be before Christmas :wink:

1 Like

How about erOS, 'cause people are gonna love it. /joke

2 Likes

I am curious if we earlier backer will get new stickers/shirts with the new name some day in future

Hi, I don’t want to open an issue about this, but I think the name “e” or “/e/” is bad for searching things in the web. It is difficult to the search engine to understand that we are talking about /e/.

For example, how to find this forum? Try to search “e howto forums”.

Maybe do something like they did in Go, use a short name (Go) and a long name (GoLang)?